Need advice from So. Cal. Hi-Po owners

Give or seeK advice Koncerning a restoration, sources of parts, feedbacK about vendors and restoration services, or whatever help you may need.

Need advice from So. Cal. Hi-Po owners

Postby Ronzcars » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:00 pm

I'm restoring my 1965 K code Mustang and am searching high and low for a reliable, honest and experienced engine builder who truly knows his way around a stock Hi-Po motor, including, of course, all the features that set it apart from a non-Hi-Po V8, e.g., timing chain size; correct cam shaft; hatchet balancer; main cap sizes; higher compression ratio; flat-top design of the pistons; heavier connecting rods, and all the other differences I've not mentioned here. I live in the Los Angeles area but am willing to drop off the motor anywhere in the region if I can find that "special" knowledgeable builder that other Hi-Po owners have used and recommend. Many thanks in advance for any referrals. Ron...
Ronzcars
AttraKted

Re: Need advice from So. Cal. Hi-Po owners

Postby C6ZZKGT » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 pm

I am in southern California and I have been doing my own Hipo 289's for over 30 years. If you are a reasonably decent mechanic, these are not that tough. Heck I stood over my wife and schooled her to build our latest Hipo 289. She told me that if she was going to drive the Kar that she wanted to be able to say that she had built the engine. Keep in mind that her previous mechanical experience was changing a tire. She did not even know how to work a torque wrench before building this engine and she did the entire build including adjusting the valves. I only gave her direction.

And yes, it runs like it should with no issues.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:30 am

Ronzcars wrote:I'm restoring my 1965 K code Mustang and am searching high and low for a reliable, honest and experienced engine builder who truly knows his way around a stock Hi-Po motor, including, of course, all the features that set it apart from a non-Hi-Po V8, e.g., timing chain size; correct cam shaft; hatchet balancer; main cap sizes; higher compression ratio; flat-top design of the pistons; heavier connecting rods, and all the other differences I've not mentioned here. I live in the Los Angeles area but am willing to drop off the motor anywhere in the region if I can find that "special" knowledgeable builder that other Hi-Po owners have used and recommend. Many thanks in advance for any referrals. Ron...

You are correct that you need someone "in the know" on these. I only posted my last post to give praise to my wife for getting in and having a good time with building the engine and being involved in the installation. She really gets into this stuff including running the bead blaster for cleaning up a lot of items.

If you want to talk about your project, give me a call.

-Fred-
661-251-2362
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby Ronzcars » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Fred. I sent you a PM earlier with my email address asking about a cam recommendation.

Thanks, Ron
Ronzcars
AttraKted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 am

Ronzcars wrote:Fred. I sent you a PM earlier with my email address asking about a cam recommendation.

Thanks, Ron

I responded to you with an email.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby cobraboy » Sat May 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Fred, if your wife wants to trade you in for a younger model I have a HiPo 289 over here that is ready to be built up, seems like a Lady who has a skill that will travel :D

Mark

PS I sold my beloved K car and it now lives in Spain :cry:
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT
cobraboy
RidiKulous

Postby SixT5HiPo » Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 am

cobraboy wrote:
PS I sold my beloved K car and it now lives in Spain :cry:

That's not good news, Mark, but there are worse things that could happen. Just sayin'... ;)
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby cobraboy » Sun May 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Yes there probably are. I made it as good as I could, it was as near to stock as possible, trouble was it was too nice to drive - never saw rain in all the time I owned it.

Still the owning of and the friends made will always make up for not having it now.
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT
cobraboy
RidiKulous

Postby SixT5HiPo » Sun May 13, 2018 5:23 pm

cobraboy wrote: I made it as good as I could, it was as near to stock as possible, trouble was it was too nice to drive - never saw rain in all the time I owned it.

Still the owning of and the friends made will always make up for not having it now.

Wow..."too nice to drive" is a phrase I've heard over and over. I have a couple of cars that meet this description too. Although my K Mustang isn't too nice, the biggest problem is having enough time to just drive it a lot. Rest assured, every time I do drive it, there's never any disappointment.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Return to Restoration