It's Done!!!

Give or seeK advice Koncerning a restoration, sources of parts, feedbacK about vendors and restoration services, or whatever help you may need.

It's Done!!!

Postby Bartman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:31 am

Well folks, after 9 long months, my restoration is complete on my 65 K code coupe. I brought the car home from the body shop and fired up the rebuilt engine. I rebuilt the original VIN stamped engine and heard it run in the car for the first time in 42 years when it was blown up in the early 70's. Thankfully the previous owner kept it all these years and sold it to me with the car, along with other parts. It started right up and ran beautifully. Set the timing, adjusted the Autolite 4100 and purred like a kitten. Installed new Arvinode exhaust from Waldrons, sounds awesome. The only issue I had was with a funky ignition switch that kept the starter on after it started and only had all dash lights and gauges working on Accessories. I had to jump it the first time from the solenoid to the coil. New ignition switch on the way, front end alignment scheduled for today, as all new suspension and then hopefully drive it to my first show this weekend.
Photos to follow shortly.

Bartman
Bartman
Kommitted

Re: It's Done!!!

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:02 am

Congratulations on your success with your project!!

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby K Code » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:19 pm

Congratulations I know that It's really good to hear it run after your rebuild. Send some pictures.
K Code
Kommitted

Postby pony65k » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:49 pm

That's awesome!! Good job :D

René
pony65k
RidiKulous

Postby SixT5HiPo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:36 am

Nice going. Gotta love the Arvinode!
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby Bartman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:55 pm

1+++ on the Arvinode! Here are the pics I promised to send. As you can see the car was a full frame off rotisserie rest, and has all new suspension as well. I installed HD springs in the back and as a result the car is sitting a little high, but it's settling a bit every day. Also if you look closely you can spot some of the 64.5 features like the unrolled hood edges and the beveled headlight buckets as well as the air vent knob. It runs great and is a blast to drive! I can't wait to enjoy it this summer.

Thanks for all your help so far with answering all of my questions. I couldn't have done it without help from the folks on this site.
Bartman

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/bartm ... t=3&page=1
Bartman
Kommitted

Postby pony65k » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:25 pm

Wow that looks fantastic. Great job and again congrats on giving the old girl a new lease on life.

René
pony65k
RidiKulous

Postby azbeneman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 pm

Beautiful car! Clean, simple and all business. Nice job.

Azbeneman
azbeneman
AttraKted

Postby Bartman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Folks I'm loving this HiPo! I've never driven one before now and I'm hooked! I amazed with the acceleration and the hold back with all that compression. Took a little getting used to 3000 rpm at 60 mph with the 3.89 gears, but wow the pick up it has, and I'm still breaking it in. Only had it up to 4000 rpm so far. The sound of that Arvinode exhaust and the Autolite carb, wow. I now understand how you guys have been in love with these cars for the past 50 years! Until you actually drive one, it's impossible to appreciate.
Giddy up!

Bartman
Bartman
Kommitted

Postby Bartman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:21 pm

1+ on the Arvinode.
Folks I'm loving this HiPo! I've never driven one before now and I'm hooked! I amazed with the acceleration and the hold back with all that compression. Took a little getting used to 3000 rpm at 60 mph with the 3.89 gears, but wow the pick up it has, and I'm still breaking it in. Only had it up to 4000 rpm so far. The sound of that Arvinode exhaust and the Autolite carb, wow. I now understand how you guys have been in love with these cars for the past 50 years! Until you actually drive one, it's impossible to appreciate.
Giddy up!

Bartman
Bartman
Kommitted

Postby zray » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:14 pm

No need to wait X number of miles to have the full HiPo effect !

Go ahead and hit 6,000 rpm. You won't hurt anything by doing that repeatedly, or for long stretches at a time. That's NOT punishing the engine, it's exercising it.

In the mid 1970's I drove the entire length of the Andes thru nearly every South American country in a clapped out wreck of a K code that cost me about $400. Me and a pal had flown to Chile from the USA and were going to hitchhike back. We came upon a a trashed out K code by chance not long after we started. $400 seemed like a good deal, and it was.

As I recall the whole trip was done between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm.

Z.
zray
LunatiK

Postby Bartman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:52 pm

Lol, I like the cut of your jib Z! I'll take your advice.
Bartman
Kommitted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:12 pm

zray wrote:No need to wait X number of miles to have the full HiPo effect !

Go ahead and hit 6,000 rpm. You won't hurt anything by doing that repeatedly, or for long stretches at a time. That's NOT punishing the engine, it's exercising it.

In the mid 1970's I drove the entire length of the Andes thru nearly every South American country in a clapped out wreck of a K code that cost me about $400. Me and a pal had flown to Chile from the USA and were going to hitchhike back. We came upon a a trashed out K code by chance not long after we started. $400 seemed like a good deal, and it was.

As I recall the whole trip was done between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm.

Z.

That is one heck of a good story, Z!!

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:02 pm

zray wrote:No need to wait X number of miles to have the full HiPo effect !

Z.

He's right...I remember when I bought my first HiPo 289 engine over the counter in 1969. Break in included hitting 6000 + RPM right away on the maiden trip home from the garage. I haven't stopped doing this since.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby Bartman » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:14 pm

First impressions after 500 miles:

-Impressive pick up and hold back with the compression, making braking easier;
-quite a bit of heat coming from exhaust and motor through the trans tunnel, actually making the seat belt mount bots hot to the touch! Even with underlay;
-averaging about 20 mpg (Imperial) even with the 3.89 gears;
-engine used maybe 1/2 quart in the first 100 miles and nothing since. Just changed the oil after 500 miles, and added Lucas 20/50 hotrod oil with zinc;
-the Kar is a ton of fun to drive and actually handles surprising well-exceeding my expectations!

Question-when do you guys suggest I check the valves for adjustment?

Thanks,
Bartman
Bartman
Kommitted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:03 pm

Bartman wrote:First impressions after 500 miles:

Question-when do you guys suggest I check the valves for adjustment?

Thanks,
Bartman

The valves will rattle enough in time to let you know that they need attention. A lot of this will depend on whether you used the factory jam nuts or went with a posi lock type of setup. I have been using posi locks on all of my solid lifter engines, and I have quite a few, for over 40 years with great success. It is a rarity that I ever need to adjust valves under normal driving conditions.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:13 pm

Bartman wrote:First impressions after 500 miles:

-Impressive pick up and hold back with the compression, making braking easier;
-quite a bit of heat coming from exhaust and motor through the trans tunnel, actually making the seat belt mount bots hot to the touch! Even with underlay;
-averaging about 20 mpg (Imperial) even with the 3.89 gears;
-engine used maybe 1/2 quart in the first 100 miles and nothing since. Just changed the oil after 500 miles, and added Lucas 20/50 hotrod oil with zinc;
-the Kar is a ton of fun to drive and actually handles surprising well-exceeding my expectations!

Thanks,
Bartman

With the 3.89 gears these Kars do have impressive pickup and compression hold back. One of my Kars has the 3,89 gears and it is like this but I dislike it on the open highway as it feels like I am beating it to death at 65 MPH (100 KPH to you). One of my Kars has 3.00 installed by a previous owner and that one is my favorite as it loves to run at 80 MPH on the open highway.

It sounds like all is good in the oil consumption area and your choice of oil is a good one.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby Bartman » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:18 am

Thanks Fred as always for the very useful information.
Bartman
Bartman
Kommitted

Postby Bartman » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:45 am

Btw at 60 mph I'm running at 3000 rpm. I see why the 3.89 ratio was used in the early Shelby's, very performance friendly. I can't imagine 4.11's as an option! I feel like I'm looking for a fifth gear now once I get over 60! It's definitely starting to get into the sweat spot though at 3000 rpm.
Bartman
Kommitted

Return to Restoration