Locking Differential Question

Give or seeK advice Koncerning a restoration, sources of parts, feedbacK about vendors and restoration services, or whatever help you may need.

Locking Differential Question

Postby Bill G » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Hey guys, my 65' Konv has the non-locking 3.50 rear end. I was toying with the idea of switching to a locking differential. Any thoughts on the difficulty of the idea or finding the correct parts? Any suggestions on a reputable source for the parts? Thanks so much.

Bill in Ohio
Bill G
AttraKted

Re: Locking Differential Question

Postby zray » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 pm

I would try to find someone in your area who has experience in building Ford 3rd members and buy a complete pumpkin from them. Your local Mustang Club will be the best place to seek a referral.

You don't want to buy mail order except as a last resort. Having issues with a traction loc rear end is not best sorted out long distance.

Z.
zray
LunatiK

Postby Bill G » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:04 am

Hey Z, thanks for your thoughts. I have another question. From what I read the limited-slip diff was not available until 1966. And the 66' differential was a slightly different shape than the 65' model diff. So I wonder, if all that is true, would you have to switch to the 66' stile diff or can a locking diff be installed into the 65' stile diff? I would think that a number of the HIPO guys would have crossed this bridge over the years. Thanks.

Bill in Ohio
Bill G
AttraKted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:21 am

Bill G wrote:Hey Z, thanks for your thoughts. I have another question. From what I read the limited-slip diff was not available until 1966. And the 66' differential was a slightly different shape than the 65' model diff. So I wonder, if all that is true, would you have to switch to the 66' stile diff or can a locking diff be installed into the 65' stile diff? I would think that a number of the HIPO guys would have crossed this bridge over the years. Thanks.

Bill in Ohio

There is no issue with the axle housing for installing a locking differential. Early fall 1965 production 1966 model Hipo cars had the same axle housing as a 1965 Kar.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Return to Restoration