ANTIQUE AUTO BATTERY

Give or seeK advice Koncerning a restoration, sources of parts, feedbacK about vendors and restoration services, or whatever help you may need.

ANTIQUE AUTO BATTERY

Postby 409gary » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 am

I just received my new battery from Antique Auto Battery Co for my 1966 K Code. I have used batteries from ABCo before, and
have always used the Battery Minder when the car was not in use. The AGM replica battery I received has an included instruction
which says "DO NOT USE A TRICKLE OR A MAINTAINER, OR A CHARGER LOWER THAN 8 AMPS OR HIGHER THAN 12 AMPS. THESE WILL
CAUSE IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE TO YOUR AGM BATTERY." When I purchased my previous battery about 10 years ago, (which is installed
in a 1961 Belair) ABCo specifically recommended the Battery Minder 2012-AGM. I used it faithfully and never had any battery
issues in 10 years with that AGM battery. So I called them today and asked why they recommended the Battery Minder 2012-AGM
before and now warn against it. They had no answer, and finally said if it worked ok in the past, then keep using it on the new
battery. I don't know if I was speaking with someone knowledgeable on the subject or not, but their answer is clearly unsatisfying.
My question is : Has anyone else had a similar experience with ABCo batteries? Has anyone continued to use the Battery Minder
2012-AGM without any harmful effects? Why would ABCo recommend letting the battery discharge to 50%, then recharging to 12.84
volts every 2 1/2 months with an 8-12 amp charger?
Any help understanding this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.
409gary
AttraKted

Re: ANTIQUE AUTO BATTERY

Postby C6ZZKGT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:04 am

409gary wrote:I just received my new battery from Antique Auto Battery Co for my 1966 K Code. I have used batteries from ABCo before, and
have always used the Battery Minder when the car was not in use. The AGM replica battery I received has an included instruction
which says "DO NOT USE A TRICKLE OR A MAINTAINER, OR A CHARGER LOWER THAN 8 AMPS OR HIGHER THAN 12 AMPS. THESE WILL
CAUSE IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE TO YOUR AGM BATTERY." When I purchased my previous battery about 10 years ago, (which is installed
in a 1961 Belair) ABCo specifically recommended the Battery Minder 2012-AGM. I used it faithfully and never had any battery
issues in 10 years with that AGM battery. So I called them today and asked why they recommended the Battery Minder 2012-AGM
before and now warn against it. They had no answer, and finally said if it worked ok in the past, then keep using it on the new
battery. I don't know if I was speaking with someone knowledgeable on the subject or not, but their answer is clearly unsatisfying.
My question is : Has anyone else had a similar experience with ABCo batteries? Has anyone continued to use the Battery Minder
2012-AGM without any harmful effects? Why would ABCo recommend letting the battery discharge to 50%, then recharging to 12.84
volts every 2 1/2 months with an 8-12 amp charger?
Any help understanding this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had heard that the new reproduction batteries are now gel cell batteries inside of the normal case. Is that what you have now?

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby 409gary » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:50 am

The material accompanying the battery says "AGM"
409gary
AttraKted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Did you have to add acid to this battery?

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby 409gary » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:20 pm

No, there is a warning that reads "DO NOT ADD ACID OR WATER TO THIS BATTERY. THIS IS A MAINTENANCE FREE BATTERY."
409gary
AttraKted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:58 pm

These are what I had heard about. They are basically an Optima battery in an original style case. Their charging parameters are different from the lead/acid versions so I would go by the Antique Auto Batteries instructions.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby zray » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:43 pm

use a battery tender +

http://products.batterytender.com/Charg ... -Plus.html

its smart and will not damage your battery. I don't like to 2nd guess manufacturers instructions, but I know AGM batteries very well. If you let it discharge as much as they are recommending, then it's just not going to last as long .

Z.

PS my reproduction Autolite batteries are lasting an average of 9 years using the battery tender +
zray
LunatiK

Postby SixT5HiPo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Interesting topic... :ugeek: AGM = Absorbent Glass Mat. You can read more about it HERE. An important point to consider is the use of advanced AGM batteries with our kar's somewhat primative charging system, which was designed to work with the requirements of "traditional" wet cell batteries (lead acid), well before AGM existed.

I also use a Battery Tender Plus, and leave the negative lead of my reproduction "AUTOLITE" battery disconnected when the kar is parked.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby zray » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 am

The last AGM reproduction battery I bought was from Virginia Classic Mustang. I don't believe it was version now being sold by Antique Battery. At least the story I get from VCM is that theirnbattery is not the same as the one sold by Antique Battery Co.

It lasted 9 years in my '66 GT350, which was driven about 80,000 miles with that battery installed.

I let the battery go complete flat one night, my fault, we don't need to go into all the details, and the battery never recovered from that incident. It was 9 years old after all. But up to that point it had never let me down. Like SixT5HiPo, my battery existed on a stead diet of Battery tender +, and leaving the (-) cable disconnected when not in use.

Z
zray
LunatiK

Postby 409gary » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 am

Prior to posting my original question here about the use of the Battery Minder on the Antique Auto Battery Co's AGM battery,
I sent an email to Battery Minder (VDC Electronics) asking them the same questions. Well, today I did receive the following
reply to my inquiry:

"We have been approved by Odyssey Battery Company to use the 2012-AGM model on their batteries as a maintainer.
Their batteries should be charged at 8 amps, either by an alternator or a charger that has the capability of charging
8 amps, such as our model 128CEC1. Any OCV AGM battery is fully charged @ 12.9-13.1 volts. Once the battery is
charged and there is little load on the battery, the 2012-AGM will work fine to maintain the battery and prevent
sulfation."

Wayne Boerem, VDC Electronics Tech Support
1 800 379 55779 X6

So what I really have is an Odyssey AGM battery. It looks like ABCo merely supplies the replica Ford battery cases which is fine.
But why ABCo would warn against use of a product that has been specifically approved by Odyssey Battery Company makes
no sense to me. Anyway, I have hooked it up, plugged it in, the battery state of charge is 100% and I quit worrying about it.
409gary
AttraKted

Return to Restoration