I need recommendations for...

Give or seeK advice Koncerning a restoration, sources of parts, feedbacK about vendors and restoration services, or whatever help you may need.

I need recommendations for...

Postby Ronzcars » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi: I need a new firewall insulation pad and mounting clips for the interior of my ' 65 Mustang. I'm hoping to find one that's thick and close to original, but I'm not sure where to start shopping. It's difficult to tell the quality from the various catalog pictures and descriptions, and I've always had better luck if I purchase based on the suggestions here from forum members who are happy with what they bought. All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Ron
Ronzcars
AttraKted
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:09 am

Re: I need recommendations for...

Postby C6ZZKGT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:09 pm

One thing to keep in mind regarding the firewall insulation is that different assembly plants used different graining.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5829
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: I need recommendations for...

Postby Ronzcars » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Fred: Thanks for that info. I didn't realize they were different. My car came from San Jose. If you know of a vendor whose firewall pads resemble their pattern, please let me know. Thanks, Ron
Ronzcars
AttraKted
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:09 am

Re: I need recommendations for...

Postby Morsel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Ronzcars wrote:Fred: Thanks for that info. I didn't realize they were different. My car came from San Jose. If you know of a vendor whose firewall pads resemble their pattern, please let me know. Thanks, Ron


I had to go through this myself, and there is nothing on the market that resembles the dimple pattern used at the San Jose plant. I ended up finding a good original and restored it myself. If you really need one that resembles your original, I suggest you just put posts up in the wanted section of all the forums, that's how I ended up getting the one I used, turned out great really in the end.

The clips you can get good ones from NPD: https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/ ... 870-1.html

Jason
Morsel
OKKupied
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: I need recommendations for...

Postby Ronzcars » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Jason:

I think you got really lucky, and I'm happy for you. But looking for an original factory firewall pad in good condition and specifying it must come out of a car produced in San Jose with a certain, specific pattern design, and must be from a '65 or '66 Mustang, what are the odds of finding that? Well, in your case 100%, I guess. But I just can't imagine that happening with any regularity (darn it). The one I took out of my car was in reasonably good condition from the driver's kick panel to the left side of the heater plenum. But from there to the passenger kick panel, it was just crumbling in my hands, probably due to a decades-old leak somewhere in the heater core or hoses. I might end up with one of the after-market pads from NPD. Not cheap, but appears to be much closer to the original in thickness and materials than most of the others. Thanks, Ron...
Ronzcars
AttraKted
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:09 am

Re: I need recommendations for...

Postby Morsel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:32 am

Ronzcars wrote:Jason:

I think you got really lucky, and I'm happy for you. But looking for an original factory firewall pad in good condition and specifying it must come out of a car produced in San Jose with a certain, specific pattern design, and must be from a '65 or '66 Mustang, what are the odds of finding that? Well, in your case 100%, I guess. But I just can't imagine that happening with any regularity (darn it). The one I took out of my car was in reasonably good condition from the driver's kick panel to the left side of the heater plenum. But from there to the passenger kick panel, it was just crumbling in my hands, probably due to a decades-old leak somewhere in the heater core or hoses. I might end up with one of the after-market pads from NPD. Not cheap, but appears to be much closer to the original in thickness and materials than most of the others. Thanks, Ron...



Yeah, it was important to me to find the correct one because of the type of restoration I was doing, but I didn't say it would be easy ;) It took me over a year to find one, but kept on it and eventually someone responded to a want ad and had one good enough for me to restore. And when I say restore, I mean carefully pulled the entire front dimple part off the jute backing, replace the jute with matching quality and trim correctly, then repair all the cracks and splits in the dimpled part with weather strip adhesive, and then vinyl dye it to a matching color as original. It wasn't easy, but it can be done, and like I said, it came out great in the end. So it really just depends on how important it is to you.

There's nothing wrong with the NPD high quality ones, everyone I know that's used them said they are really nice and they fit well... it's just whatever you're doing with your car and how important it is to you...

Thanks,

Jason
Morsel
OKKupied
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: I need recommendations for...

Postby Ronzcars » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks, Jason. I'm not shooting for a concourse car, so most likely I will opt for the NPD pad, especially since you have an acquaintance who used it and vouches for the fit and finish, etc. On another subject, do you know if there's a shop or vendor who rebuilds the disc brake master cylinder for the early Mustangs? If I recall correctly, putting a kit into one of these is not as straight forward as it is with the smaller master cylinders used on drum brake cars. Thanks, Ron
Ronzcars
AttraKted
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:09 am

Re: I need recommendations for...

Postby Morsel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:06 pm

Ronzcars wrote:Thanks, Jason. I'm not shooting for a concourse car, so most likely I will opt for the NPD pad, especially since you have an acquaintance who used it and vouches for the fit and finish, etc. On another subject, do you know if there's a shop or vendor who rebuilds the disc brake master cylinder for the early Mustangs? If I recall correctly, putting a kit into one of these is not as straight forward as it is with the smaller master cylinders used on drum brake cars. Thanks, Ron


Unfortunately I don't personally. You may want to post an ad in the "Services Offered" section or "Restoration" section on the concours forum, there are a ton of people there that deal with these things regularly. Also, Fred may respond to this as he know a lot of people doing work on these type of components...

Sorry I can't be more help...

Jason
Morsel
OKKupied
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: I need recommendations for...

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Morsel wrote:
Ronzcars wrote:Thanks, Jason. I'm not shooting for a concourse car, so most likely I will opt for the NPD pad, especially since you have an acquaintance who used it and vouches for the fit and finish, etc. On another subject, do you know if there's a shop or vendor who rebuilds the disc brake master cylinder for the early Mustangs? If I recall correctly, putting a kit into one of these is not as straight forward as it is with the smaller master cylinders used on drum brake cars. Thanks, Ron


Unfortunately I don't personally. You may want to post an ad in the "Services Offered" section or "Restoration" section on the concours forum, there are a ton of people there that deal with these things regularly. Also, Fred may respond to this as he know a lot of people doing work on these type of components...

Sorry I can't be more help...

Jason


I have been rebuilding my disc brake master cylinders for many years with no issues. I, fortunately, have NOS Ford kits but I doubt that makes a difference.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5829
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: I need recommendations for...

Postby Ronzcars » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks, Fred. I will reach out to NPD for a rebuild kit and give it a go. Ron
Ronzcars
AttraKted
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:09 am


Return to Restoration

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 409gary and 1 guest