Leaf Springs and Drive Shaft paint marks?

Give or seeK advice Koncerning a restoration, sources of parts, feedbacK about vendors and restoration services, or whatever help you may need.

Leaf Springs and Drive Shaft paint marks?

Postby Morsel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello all,

I'm about to start the underside and rear end restoration on my San Jose, factory GT, Feb 10th 1966, automatic Kar and was wondering about paint marks that I should try to recreate on my drive shaft, leaf springs and rear axle. Whoever had worked on the car prior painted the whole thing black so nothing is showing that was original and I have a feeling when I strip it the marks will be gone.

Any photos would be great, can always send them to me since I know it's difficult to post pictures on here.

Private message me if you have anything at all that might shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,

Jason
Morsel
OKKupied

Re: Leaf Springs and Drive Shaft paint marks?

Postby KCodeCoupe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm

You might have luck posting on http://concoursmustang.com/
65 Silver Smoke Gray GT K Coupe, 67 Vintage Burgandy GT K Coupe, 84 GT Convertible original owner with 1800 miles,
1986 Oxford White SVO, 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302, 2016 Shadow Black Shelby GT350 R
KCodeCoupe
RidiKulous

Postby Morsel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 pm

KCodeCoupe wrote:You might have luck posting on http://concoursmustang.com/

Yeah, I ws trying to come here first before I bug Jeff and the guys with the typical annoying "paint dab" questions, haha. I searched the site and just can't seem to find the info for my specific build date and "GT/Special handling" K suspension... which I know is the same as any GT equipped Kar...

I'll go there if I don't get any hits here ;)

Thanks,

Jason
Morsel
OKKupied

Postby sg66gt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:40 pm

The FB/Vert springs were different than Coupe. I think that is why Jeff was asking over there
sg66gt
AttraKted

Postby SixT5HiPo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:35 am

All the info you need regarding stripes and daubs can be found in the Fourth Edition of THE 289 HIGH PERFORMANCE MUSTANG Although Marv has sold out all the stock, there are still copies available from Tony Branda, and still one left HERE.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby evantugby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:38 pm

drive shaft: 2 purple stripes and 1 pink stripe
drive shaft front yoke: pink paint daub
drive shaft rear yoke: green paint daub

rear axle: white splash on outside end of axle

65/66 rear springs: 1 white mark, vertical on second leaf from top, in rear. 1" x3"

Reference: The 289 High Performance Mustang by Tony Gregory Fourth Edition page 164-165
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signal flare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
evantugby
Kommitted

Postby Morsel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:56 pm

SixT5HiPo wrote:All the info you need regarding stripes and daubs can be found in the Fourth Edition of THE 289 HIGH PERFORMANCE MUSTANG Although Marv has sold out all the stock, there are still copies available from Tony Branda, and still one left HERE.

I have this book, but I was told there was a lot of incorrect information when it came to things like this in the book, and to ignore it, haha.

Anyway, I guess I have to start somewhere, I'll at least maybe confirm this now that I have some info with the guys on the concours forum...

Thanks HiPo guys!

J
Morsel
OKKupied

Postby OUTLAWINC » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Jason.

Like every book and forum there is always mis-information out there.
sometime its just a process of elimination and you have to sought out what is fact and what is fiction.

it takes time, but for the time being till you have all the correct facts I would not worry about those details.

As a example; I recently restored a Kar a customer and at its first show everyone was taking photos of paints marks that the owner not me had applied once the car was handed over. now there are many restored cars that have duplicated many of those incorrect marks and has even made it on to the web. Certain people will take that as fact cause its on the web but actually it false in so many ways. Even had direct communication from others wanting me to do the same to there mustang!!! once I said it wasn't me and was factually incorrect they moved onto the owner and asked him to replicate on there mustangs

happy to discuss with you via email.

stay patient

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
OUTLAWINC
OKKupied

Postby Mad4HiPos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:29 pm

The rear spring info is incorrect in Tony's book from what I have seen.

This thread on the Concours forum has some pics...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17374.0

There should be a yellow and green mark on the rear of the bottom leaf, typically yellow is the forward mark. Could be dots or stripes depending on build date, spots are typically earlier. Your build date could probably have either, my late March 66 build GT350 has one spring with dots and one with stripes.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757
Mad4HiPos
Kommitted

Postby Morsel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:54 pm

Yes, been following this thread over there, but according to earlier posts that I found from a few years back Jeff was talking about how San Jose (which my car is) used painted stripes on their leaf springs rather then spray dots like the other two plants, now maybe this is different from "normal springs" but they way it was said it didn't sound like it...

Also, Phill, we'll chat offline, I'll send you an email.

Thanks,

Jason
Morsel
OKKupied

Postby Mad4HiPos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Jason,

Should have been more specific but I was referring specifically to SJ cars in my post...

"Could be dots or stripes depending on build date, spots are typically earlier. Your build date could probably have either, my late March 66 build GT350 has one spring with dots and one with stripes."

Numerous examples of 65 GT350's, which used the same springs, having dots. The transition to stripes occurred during 66 production but was not a smooth one which why there are a few examples that have one of each type. Stripes is the more typical option for your build date IMO...

Dave
Dave - 6S1757
Mad4HiPos
Kommitted

Postby SixT5HiPo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 am

Mad4HiPos wrote:The rear spring info is incorrect in Tony's book from what I have seen.

Dave

My copy of Tony's book says the rear springs have a yellow and green stripe.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby Mad4HiPos » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:46 pm

SixT5HiPo wrote:My copy of Tony's book says the rear springs have a yellow and green stripe.

Thanks, good to know, I was just going by the prior post...

Dave
Dave - 6S1757
Mad4HiPos
Kommitted

Return to Restoration