Clutch ID question

Tired of racKing your head? Tap in to someone else's experience, just asK for some advice.

Clutch ID question

Postby 64Khipo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Hello all--

I have a 64.5 HP convertible that had two Pasadena lady owners before me (really!) This month marks the 40th year that I have owned it. It may be the oldest K Mustang convertible in existence, having been built on June 9 1964.

Some years ago I replaced the clutch but saved the one that I took out of it. I would now like to have it rebuilt and put it back in the car, but I am not sure if it's original. The pressure plate is turquoise and the springs are a medium blue. No paint on the cover that I can discover (plenty of rust, though.) This description does not match the service manual, which says an original hipo clutch should have a bronze cover, pressure place and green springs. That, however, is for 1965 models and mine is a very early 64.

Could anyone please tell me what I have?

Regards, Chas Seims
64Khipo
eKsposed

Re: Clutch ID question

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:39 pm

I just sent you a PM on this but you will need to respond to my email address in the PM. That way we can work with pictures which can be tough to do on this forum.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby livetoride60 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:40 am

If you need it redone, I would highly recommend this guy. He's been in the biz for quite a while, and took the time to give me more information than I could imagine. Very happy with the results.

Ron Anderson

* Automotive Friction, since 1978
* (800) 545-9088 or (971) 245-2570
* 20521 SE Highway 212 Damascus, Oregon 97089
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6
livetoride60
RidiKulous

Postby sg66gt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Just curious why one would go through the trouble of rebuilding a 3 finger hipo clutch assembly today given that they have broken more than one z bar. My understanding was the center force clutch is a better option less likely to twist or break a stock hipo z bar?
sg66gt
AttraKted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 pm

sg66gt wrote:Just curious why one would go through the trouble of rebuilding a 3 finger hipo clutch assembly today given that they have broken more than one z bar. My understanding was the center force clutch is a better option less likely to twist or break a stock hipo z bar?

The correct original Hipo clutch is not so tight as to break or bend the Z bar most of the time. I have run original Hipo clutches for years without any issues in all of my Kars. The problem with the 3 finger clutch is when people add more spring pressure to them or build a standard clutch with heavier springs. The standard clutch has counterweights which do make it tougher to depress at high RPM, especially with more spring pressure. I will however agree that the Center Force can be a good option today.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 pm

sg66gt wrote:Just curious why one would go through the trouble of rebuilding a 3 finger hipo clutch assembly today given that they have broken more than one z bar. My understanding was the center force clutch is a better option less likely to twist or break a stock hipo z bar?

I've always used the stock clutch and pressure plate in three different HiPo kars: a '64 Fairlane. a '65 Comet Cyclone, and the '65 Mustang I currently have...The Comet had a clutch failure after I bought it in 1974, and I discovered it had a a very stiff aftermarket "racing" pressure plate installed by the previous owner. He was into drag racing the car, and also had a ANSEN scattershield, traction bars, headers and 4:11 gears. Anyway, I replaced the broken clutch with the stock unit, and never had any issues after nearly 25 years of use. I sold the CYCLONE to buy the Mustang. I'm not sure what the clutch setup is, but have a new stock HiPo unit ready to go if I need it.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby sg66gt » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks both
sg66gt
AttraKted

Postby 64Khipo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:22 pm

What I was really asking is was this clutch originally installed in? Pressure plate is turquoise and springs medium blue. Does anybody have a service bulletin that would ID this? If it's a common piece, obviously, I won't redo it.

Thanks, Chas Seims
64Khipo
eKsposed

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:02 am

64Khipo wrote:What I was really asking is was this clutch originally installed in? Pressure plate is turquoise and springs medium blue. Does anybody have a service bulletin that would ID this? If it's a common piece, obviously, I won't redo it.

Thanks, Chas Seims

Chas, I am still waiting for your pictures in my email so that I can help you. Colors are unimportant.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Return to Koncerns & Troubleshooting