Flywheel anomoly

Tired of racKing your head? Tap in to someone else's experience, just asK for some advice.

Flywheel anomoly

Postby gjz30075 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi all. I recently bought this C8ZE flywheel (with a C7ZE-B stamped on the outer ring) and wondered about the spiral on the mounting boss. What
purpose would it serve when this area is bolted up against the butt of the cranshaft?

Well, it seems I cannot upload my pic for some reason but to describe it - it's a slightly grooved spiral 'cut', starting from the innermost hole and wrapping
around and ending at the outer edge of a bolt hole, or, ie, the outer edge of the mounting area. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks!
gjz30075
OKKupied

Re: Flywheel anomoly

Postby gjz30075 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:01 am

I thought I would bring this up again. Still can't post a picture, arghhhh! Anyway, try this link:
https://imgur.com/csJvpCi
If you need a different description, let me know.
Thanks!
gjz30075
OKKupied

Postby proudKowner » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Hmm not sure. Perhaps someone that has seen more of these flywheels than me will chime in. To me it almost looks like a machining mistake when it was being turned, maybe a tool coming into momentary contact with it. Is there an actual groove, it's hard to tell from the photo?

Kevin
proudKowner
Kommitted

Postby gjz30075 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Barely a groove; more like a scratch. Your theory makes sense, however.
gjz30075
OKKupied

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:13 pm

proudKowner wrote:Hmm not sure. Perhaps someone that has seen more of these flywheels than me will chime in. To me it almost looks like a machining mistake when it was being turned, maybe a tool coming into momentary contact with it. Is there an actual groove, it's hard to tell from the photo?

Kevin

I also concur with this theory. I will check all of my flywheels when I get time although I have quite a few flywheels and less time.

-Fred-.
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Return to Koncerns & Troubleshooting