Pinion leak

Tired of racKing your head? Tap in to someone else's experience, just asK for some advice.

Pinion leak

Postby Bartman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi guys. I'm looking for a little advice regarding my 9 in 3.89 rear end. I just completed a resto on my Kar that included replacing the pinion seal, checking backlash and setting the pre load with a new crush sleeve. I have since developed a minor leak from what appears to be coming from the threads around the pinion nut inside the pinion yoke. Do you have any advice on how to fix this? I did not replace the Pinion Nut with a new one. I really don't want to install a new crush sleeve and redo the preload. Any suggestions on what I should do to stop the leak, and do I need to redo the preload?
Many thanks guys.
Bartman
Bartman
Kommitted

Re: Pinion leak

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:19 am

Bartman wrote:Hi guys. I'm looking for a little advice regarding my 9 in 3.89 rear end. I just completed a resto on my Kar that included replacing the pinion seal, checking backlash and setting the pre load with a new crush sleeve. I have since developed a minor leak from what appears to be coming from the threads around the pinion nut inside the pinion yoke. Do you have any advice on how to fix this? I did not replace the Pinion Nut with a new one. I really don't want to install a new crush sleeve and redo the preload. Any suggestions on what I should do to stop the leak, and do I need to redo the preload?
Many thanks guys.
Bartman

The pinion nut replacement is not tough. The most important thing is to not over tighten it. You can feel the amount of drag when you are turning the yoke, you can even use an inch pound torque wrench for this. It is just a matter of trying to keep the drag the same when tightening up the new nut.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby zray » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:58 am

If indeed the leak is coming thru the threads, you can use a thread sealant, ARP sells one of the best, to prevent that from happening.

Additionally, using a heavier wt. lube will help to mitigate a leak. I've used Mobil 1 75w-110 in many different Ford 9" rears, and have never had a leak isssue. NOTE: it is already formulated for a LS setup, so no additional additive is needed if you have a posi in place, although you can use the MotorCraft additive if desired without any concerns.

Z
zray
LunatiK

Postby Bartman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks Fred and Z. Some guys recommend RTV sealant on the pinion yoke splines and the pinion nut threads to seal. Do you guys agree with this? I can't imagine any amount of a foreign compound potentially entering bearings in a he carrier etc being a good thing!
Bartman
Kommitted

Postby zray » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:39 pm

I have a general distrust of RTV . If my splines were seeping I'd prefer the APR thread sealer. RTV always seem to go where you don't want it to go, and plug up something critical at just the wrong moment. That aspect may not be that applicable in a rear end, but I still hate (using) the stuff.

My exception to that is the thermostat housing RTV that Permatex sells. That stuff won't run everywhere and is the best product I've seem for sealing intake water ports

Z
zray
LunatiK

Postby 6R07K » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi,

Had a very annoying pinion leak myself for years, don't happen to have used a Richmond Gear pinion have you as it seems to be a problem. At the moment its third time lucky as after using generous amount of APR it hasn't leaked for 6 months.
Cheers

Ben
66 GT Koupe
6R07K
AttraKted

Postby Bartman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi Ben. No im still using the original OEM crown and pinion. Thanks for sharing your advice too. It looks like I'll need to replace the pinion nut and apply a generous amount of thread sealer. Did you apply anything to the pinion yoke and splines? Thanks
Bartman
Bartman
Kommitted

Return to Koncerns & Troubleshooting