Unplugging oil hole

Tired of racKing your head? Tap in to someone else's experience, just asK for some advice.

Unplugging oil hole

Postby livetoride60 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Merry Christmas everyone....

So I have a 64 hipo 289 and someone replaced the original cam thrust plate with the newer style below:

....which redirects oil from an oil hole shown below to the right of the cam up onto the timing gear:

Well, this hole is plugged on my block, and I'm going to remove the plug to get a little more oil on the timing set. I think this should be fine as that's what Ford did, but wanted to check on this forum to see if I was missing anything, so

question #1) Any thing i should look out for or will it be ok?

and #2) what's the best way to remove this plug? Don't want to get shavings in my oil passage. Thinking I can grab it with a tap or something and pull out.

PS: I do have the newer style timing gear that works with this cam thrust plate.

Thanks,
Rich
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6
livetoride60
RidiKulous

Re: Unplugging oil hole

Postby proudKowner » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:39 am

Kinda strange, almost the exact same post on the Ford Muscle Forums in 2007. Perhaps you can get your answers here;

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-for ... plate.html

Kevin
proudKowner
Kommitted

Postby K Code » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:01 pm

The plug can be removed by drilling a small hole in the plug, screw in a sheet metal screw and pull the plug out. I've done this many times and changed the camshaft thrust plate to the latter style. After removing the plug insert a small punch and push out the carbon inside. You can then blow out the hole with compressed air. Make sure that you blow out the cam bearing holes also. I normally do these thing before taking the block to the machine shop, that way the holes get cleaned along with the rest of the block.
K Code
Kommitted

Postby livetoride60 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks everyone. That thread was the one I actually got the pic from. Removed by punching with an ice pick, putting a screw in it, and pulling with vice grips.
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6
livetoride60
RidiKulous

Return to Koncerns & Troubleshooting