Rear Axle Bearing

Tired of racKing your head? Tap in to someone else's experience, just asK for some advice.

Rear Axle Bearing

Postby chucks302 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm looking for recommendations for replacement rear 28 spline outer axle bearing & retainer. I seem to get one season out of my L/R the bearing fails or the retainer collar loosens. I follow the shop manual to the letter. What did Ford use for a bearing supplier? Thanks
chucks302
Kommitted

Re: Rear Axle Bearing

Postby C6ZZKGT » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Chuck, All of my NOS Ford bearings are FMCC or FPP and I am unclear as to who those names relate to. Keep in mind that the retainer does need to be pressed on with a fair amount of pressure to keep it from moving. I at one time thought that I could just hammer it on and all would be good but the axle would slowly walk out of the bearing. Pressing it on fixed the issue.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby chucks302 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:11 am

C6ZZKGT wrote:Chuck, All of my NOS Ford bearings are FMCC or FPP and I am unclear as to who those names relate to. Keep in mind that the retainer does need to be pressed on with a fair amount of pressure to keep it from moving. I at one time thought that I could just hammer it on and all would be good but the axle would slowly walk out of the bearing. Pressing it on fixed the issue.

-Fred-
Thank you for your reply fred, I have always pressed the bearing on first then coller , i guess i will re-measure all the related components for wear, might try heating the coller in oil with a hot plate before pressing it on , im running the car at the drag strip when i have time on the weekends in summer but i dont think thats the issue,
chucks302
Kommitted

Postby chucks302 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:47 pm

I might try using red or blue locktite on the coller or installing a small set screw through the coller to keep it from moving on the axel shaft
chucks302
Kommitted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:30 pm

If you are going to try the set screw idea, you will need to grind a slot on the axle for the set screw to bite into. The shaft is far too hard for the set screw to bite into on its own.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby zray » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:29 pm

C6ZZKGT wrote:If you are going to try the set screw idea, you will need to grind a slot on the axle for the set screw to bite into. The shaft is far too hard for the set screw to bite into on its own.

-Fred-

Although this might work, I have to wonder what is the problem in the first place that's necessitates this kind of bandaid ?

Z
zray
LunatiK

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Ford had a recall on 72 or 73 Torinos for axle replacements and we did a lot of them. I believe that the recall was related to the problem that you are having with the bearing coming off of the axle.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby zray » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Any knowledge of a similar TSB regarding the 65-70 models ? This issue is certainly news to me as I've never had a bearing or retainer come loose on any 65-70 Ford product once it was properly pressed on. My experience on the '71+'models adds up to a big goose egg.

Now, I have had 28 spline axles snap under enough stress. But that's a horse of a different color.

Z
zray
LunatiK

Return to Koncerns & Troubleshooting