Chrome Valve Covers and Roller Rocker Arms

Tired of racKing your head? Tap in to someone else's experience, just asK for some advice.

Chrome Valve Covers and Roller Rocker Arms

Postby Rainier42 » Sat May 27, 2017 2:07 pm

When I rebuilt my HiPo I added roller rockers. At the time I installed aluminum Cobra Valve Covers and the clearance/fit was just fine. Am looking to install the original chrome valve covers but they are hitting the roller rocker arms ... anyone out there with a solution for this?
Rainier42
AttraKted

Re: Chrome Valve Covers and Roller Rocker Arms

Postby 289kford » Sat May 27, 2017 4:31 pm

I had a set of roller rockers that never made it to the car for this reason. I have seen polished spacers to cure this problem. Just over an inch thick.example here
http://www.cjponyparts.com/trans-dapt-p ... aQodik4I1w
I have seen them for half this price on ebay. I wasn't sure about the look so I never pursued it.
I don't know how much is needed for clearance, but this is an idea
I did see some covers on a small block chevy that looked different but couldn't put my finger on what it was. The owner told me he cut the bottom of his covers and added an inch, put the bottoms back on and rechromed them. I don't know if anybody makes a tall chrome cover with the right profile, if that is important to you. Either of those options I think would look better than the spacers.
289kford
Kommitted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sat May 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Rainier42 wrote:When I rebuilt my HiPo I added roller rockers. At the time I installed aluminum Cobra Valve Covers and the clearance/fit was just fine. Am looking to install the original chrome valve covers but they are hitting the roller rocker arms ... anyone out there with a solution for this?

I have found that the area where the rocker arms usually hit the covers is in the baffle areas on both covers. Is this where your issue is? It will show up as a dent in the baffle. If it hits there, a little massaging will open up the clearance without hurting the valve cover.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby zray » Sun May 28, 2017 6:56 am

I have the same solution that I posted on the VMF, which is exactly what Fred is saying here: either drill or dent the baffle where the interference is taking place. Using 2 thick cork gaskets 3M'd together also helps.

;)

Z
zray
LunatiK

Return to Koncerns & Troubleshooting