Original Air Cleaner base?

Tired of racKing your head? Tap in to someone else's experience, just asK for some advice.

Original Air Cleaner base?

Postby livetoride60 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Anyone ever see this pattern on an original hipo air cleaner base? (first two pics) Got it from Branda on eBay and was advertised as original. However it perfectly matches the pattern on a repop I have (last two pics). Thought originals just had the two indentations each about the size of a half dollar without "dots" like this. Or if they had emissions they had the metal nipple for the rubber hose.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtbTnpK0TSNVgZIXVG6xluApUREVsQ

Also, why doesn't picture upload work anymore? Hasn't worked for quite a while.
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6
livetoride60
RidiKulous

Re: Original Air Cleaner base?

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:05 pm

All of those pictures are repros. No original base has those dimples. I am really surprised that Branda would say that it was an original base as they do know better.

Please attach a link to the auction on this as I would really like to see how they represented it.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby livetoride60 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:17 am

Heres the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/332307840222

Click on Item Description. Here's a couple excerpts"

"ORIGINAL / USED
289 HIPO V8 ENGINE - AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY"

and

"THIS ORIG. FORD 289 HIPO AIR CLEANER
ASSY. INCLUDES:
CHROME STEEL TOP
STEEL BOTTOM
---
WE ARE INCLUDING a:
NEW-REPRO AIR FILTER ELEMENT
&
A NEW-REPRO 289 HIPO AIR CLEANER
LID DECAL"
livetoride60
RidiKulous

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:10 am

It is hard to tell in the pictures about the little dimples but they are there. The first give away would be the lack of the one hump for 64 1/2 and the two humps for somewhere in 1965. The air filter element is not the more proper reddish color with the holes rather than the mesh. I am really not sure that the lid is not a repro as well and is easy to tell by the weight compared to an original. I am surprised at Branda for their representation of this as an original although I heard recently that Branda as a company has sold out to someone else?

All that said, you need get with Branda on this.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby livetoride60 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:26 am

I'm a little concerned about the lid as well. It "feels" a little light, and was going to try to find a scale to weight it, as well as check the contours against a nice article someone posted on SAAC I think. It all goes back regardless. The lid has one edge which it looks like someone hit with a sander, taking off the contour of the edge as well. This wasn't described in the detail.

Hadn't heard about them selling out. Thanks for info.
livetoride60
RidiKulous

Postby livetoride60 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:13 am

So an update:

Branda agreed to refund my money and return shipping, after I spoke with their manager "Terry". That's the end of the good.

Terry, while never explicitly claiming the base was original, did everything else to cast doubt that is was a repop and not take responsibility. "The parts were from a large collect of NOS and original parts, so they assumed it was original", "nobody knows for sure everything that Ford did", "he's seen experts be wrong before", etc. etc. Instead of relying on well known knowledge or providing evidence to back his claim...(2 well known sources from concours forum and 1 from this forum flat out stated any base with dimples like that is a repop and none have seen an original with that feature).....he goes with the "nobody knows for sure" and "I've see gold card judges be wrong" argument. Certainly anything is possible, but not everything is likely!

Also he argued over the condition of the lid, which had been power sanded to remove rust and as a result, had been flattened on spots on the edges....something that was not described in the ad and rechroming won't fix.

Ultimately it's just not the right attitude. Too many other good vendors out there to waste time with this. Very disappointed. Won't buy from them again.
livetoride60
RidiKulous

Return to Koncerns & Troubleshooting