Pinion snubber bolts

Tired of racKing your head? Tap in to someone else's experience, just asK for some advice.

Pinion snubber bolts

Postby Zed » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:35 am

Hello Everyone,

I had my diff centre rebuilt about a month ago and told them this was for a restoration and everything had to be reused. The place took about 6 weeks to do the job and would only paint it black but if I supplied the red oxide paint they would use that instead.
After telephoning them several times to ask when will it be ready I finally got a call to drop the paint off. I couldn't get down to them for several days but got a call the next day saying it was ready to be picked up. I didn't trust them with the snubber bracket as he said he had plenty of them and mine wasn't any different etc.
When I went to pay and collect the centre it looked the same as when I dropped it off minus the oil and grime but still covered in rust and some paint.
So I ended up bringing it home and used various wire wheels and a rust treatment to clean it up. Painting it myself after masking up the yoke.
The place offered to fit the snubber bracket before painting but I declined their offer after seeing the rust despite being told it was going to be bead blasted to clean it up.
The man said to use Loctite superstud lock 262 on the 3 bolts that hold the snubber bracket on.
Is this overkill or is this the right type of loctite to use?
Thanks in advance Eddie
Zed
OKKupied

Re: Pinion snubber bolts

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:38 am

Eddie, You need to do a search of properly restored rear ends before proceeding further with your painting. It sounds from your post that there was a plan to paint the snubber bracket after it was installed by the shop which, thankfully, did not happen. Also it seemed that it was going to be painted red oxide like the casting. The snubber bracket is a natural finish. There is a machined surface on the pinion carrier that is machined after the casting is painted at the factory. That part of the casting will be a natural finish. I have never had a need for any Locktite on the bolts for the pinion snubber especially considering that it would very rarely, if ever, see a load on it. All 5 bolts on the pinion carrier are natural.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Zed wrote:Hello Everyone,

I had my diff centre rebuilt about a month ago and told them this was for a restoration and everything had to be reused. The place took about 6 weeks to do the job...

Here's hoping it goes back together with no issues, and runs better than ever.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby Zed » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks Fred,
I painted the bracket with a metal finish paint as I expected them to paint everything black and misplace the snubber bracket. I haven't left the natural finish on the machined surface but I can clean this up.
My Kar will never be a show car as it is missing a few correct parts like the C4 transmission, carbie and distributor plus it is RHD.Keeping this in mind and the lack of K Code parts here in Adelaide/Australia. When I do stuff to the Kar I'll try and keep it or return it to original as possible. I have painted the housing and will put it back into the Kar soon.
My main concern was the loctite which seemed excessive to me.
Hopefully the slight whine from the rear end will be gone as I had a used set of Ford gears installed (3.50:1) the old ones had some bad pitting on the crown gear.
Zed
OKKupied

Postby C6ZZKGT » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:30 am

Zed wrote:Thanks Fred,
I painted the bracket with a metal finish paint as I expected them to paint everything black and misplace the snubber bracket. I haven't left the natural finish on the machined surface but I can clean this up.
My Kar will never be a show car as it is missing a few correct parts like the C4 transmission, carbie and distributor plus it is RHD.Keeping this in mind and the lack of K Code parts here in Adelaide/Australia. When I do stuff to the Kar I'll try and keep it or return it to original as possible. I have painted the housing and will put it back into the Kar soon.
My main concern was the loctite which seemed excessive to me.
Hopefully the slight whine from the rear end will be gone as I had a used set of Ford gears installed (3.50:1) the old ones had some bad pitting on the crown gear.

With some really good luck the used gears will be setup correctly and be quiet. Being Ford gears will help however keep in mind that they could have been noisy in the rear end that they came from. Hopefully not!!

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Return to Koncerns & Troubleshooting