Engine Start up

Tired of racKing your head? Tap in to someone else's experience, just asK for some advice.

Engine Start up

Postby Bartman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:16 am

Hello guys. Just looking for a little advice on restarting my engine after sitting all winter. I use a good oil with a zinc additive, but just wondering if any of you have suggestions to reduce cam lobe wear on start up. Do you suggest cranking the engine over a few times with the ignition off prior to start up? Just want to engine lubrication to the top end and bearings.

Thanks,
Bartman
Bartman
Kommitted

Re: Engine Start up

Postby SixT5HiPo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Bartman wrote:Hello guys. Just looking for a little advice on restarting my engine after sitting all winter. I use a good oil with a zinc additive, but just wondering if any of you have suggestions to reduce cam lobe wear on start up. Do you suggest cranking the engine over a few times with the ignition off prior to start up? Just want to engine lubrication to the top end and bearings.

Thanks,
Bartman

Chances are you will be cranking the engine a bit to get the gas pumped into the carburetor, which has probably "drained down" after sitting idle for so long. This will serve to help with the oil circulation you mentioned, but it will put extra stress on your battery and starter motor.

Years ago, I had a '65 Cyclone with a HiPo that the previous owner installed an electric fuel pump inline with the mechanical pump. When the key was turned on, the pump engaged and there was a full charge of gas available no matter if the car sat for extended periods. Needless to say, this allowed the engine to start on the first crank almost every time. I always wondered if that was a good thing or not so good for the reasons you described above.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby Building 3 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:57 am

It depends on how much time you want to spend on start-up and how long the car has been siting. 1. If its only been a few months it probably won't need anything special, but you might not want to press the accelerator pedal on the first few cranks. That way it probably won't start and you won't have excess fuel in the manifold and possibly running down into the cylinder walls washing away the oil film. 2. or, a little more effort: would be to remove the lead from the distributor to the coil so it won't fire the plugs. Don't touch the gas pedal since you don't want excess gasoline. Crank it over a few times, maybe 5-15 seconds. 3. if it has been sitting for a long time, say a year, remove the spark plugs, squirt some oil down the spark plug holes, then crank the engine. Usually the cold start never causes a problem but I did have one engine (not a Mustang) that scored its main bearings after too many cold/dry starts. the car sat for a year or so at a time before starting and driving. After about five or six years it started making odd noises. The main bearings were starved for oil on each start.
Building 3
AttraKted

Postby Bartman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks guys. Great advice. I didn’t want to remove the distributor and prime the oil pump so I like your advice much better.
Thanks
Bartman
Bartman
Kommitted

Return to Koncerns & Troubleshooting