Harmonic Balancer Recommendation

Anything from daily drivers to weekend warriors. Get info about performance parts/upgrades and those not-so-original parts.

Harmonic Balancer Recommendation

Postby rockhouse66 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:47 am

I am seeking an aftermarket balancer that closely resembles the original K-code balancer. Preferably SFI rated. My Google search found dimensions of the original balancer to be 6-31/48" diameter (odd) and 1" thick but they sure look like more than 1" thick to me. Can someone tell me the original dimensions? Have you found an aftermarket piece that looks similar? I know there is a repro out there, but I would prefer a performance part.
Jim
rockhouse66
AttraKted

Re: Harmonic Balancer Recommendation

Postby zray » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:25 am

I can't advise you on which aftermarket balancer, but I am curious what kind of performance balancer will increase your performance or reliability beyond what the current repro, or a restored original will accomplish ?

ATI is a quality brand

Z.
zray
LunatiK

Postby rockhouse66 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:16 am

Looking for reliability in a track day car that we want to look semi-correct K-code under the hood. I suspect the new repro is made primarily to look the part, rather than necessarily function the part. Do you know the dimensions of an original?
Jim
rockhouse66
AttraKted

Postby rockhouse66 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:52 am

I found the orignal balancer thickness to be 1-3/4" by searching through Bob Mannel's excellent book. I am posting because I didn't get an answer to my question - no one knows?

I chose a Romac balancer which is the exact same dimensions as a K-code damper, is SFI certified, and the one I bought has a steel center and an aluminum outer ring. Very nice piece. I needed a neutral balance damper to work with the neutral balance stroker crank.
Jim
rockhouse66
AttraKted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am

found the orignal balancer thickness to be 1-3/4" by searching through Bob Mannel's excellent book. I am posting because I didn't get an answer to my question - no one knows?

I chose a Romac balancer which is the exact same dimensions as a K-code damper, is SFI certified, and the one I bought has a steel center and an aluminum outer ring. Very nice piece. I needed a neutral balance damper to work with the neutral balance stroker crank.Jim

It sounds like you came up with a good solution for your application. It takes a fair amount of modification to make a Hipo balancer neutral balanced. The mods tend to ugly it up. :(

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Return to Modified