To dress up the engine or not?

Anything from daily drivers to weekend warriors. Get info about performance parts/upgrades and those not-so-original parts.

To dress up the engine or not?

Postby JET777 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:23 pm

I have an early 65 Raven black fastback with standard white interior. The engine and 4 speed have been replaced with date correct HiPo and toploader that are numbers matched to each other but not to the car. Door tag is new.
The car has been rotisserie restored but no red oxide underneath etc. Correct distributer and carby, but not radiator, shocks etc. I have added GT package to the car - fog lights, rear valance, badges, dash etc. but this is not original.
I consider this a nice driver.
I am thinking about tri-Y's, cobra valve covers, medium rise manifold, cobra oil pan and 715 holley.
Do you think this will decrease its value?
JET777
eKsposed

Re: To dress up the engine or not?

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:32 pm

JET777 wrote:I have an early 65 Raven black fastback with standard white interior. The engine and 4 speed have been replaced with date correct HiPo and toploader that are numbers matched to each other but not to the car. Door tag is new.
The car has been rotisserie restored but no red oxide underneath etc. Correct distributer and carby, but not radiator, shocks etc. I have added GT package to the car - fog lights, rear valance, badges, dash etc. but this is not original.
I consider this a nice driver.
I am thinking about tri-Y's, cobra valve covers, medium rise manifold, cobra oil pan and 715 holley.
Do you think this will decrease its value?

The tri-Y's, cobra valve covers, medium rise manifold, cobra oil pan and 715 holley are all removable later if you feel that it decreases resale value at that time.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby zray » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:33 am

My experiences buyimg and selling cars has convinced me that modifying a car does not necessarily affect the value. What is does do is reduce the pool of prospective buyers.

Since your engine is already not original to the car, then you have, in my opinion, more latitude to change a few things without any dire consequences to the value. And, it should be pointed out that the changes you are considering will make the car more attractive to some people, and accordingly worth more to them.

PS. the red oxide floor pan was not used in all the plants for the 1965 model year. Your car may have left the factory with a black bottom finish, depending on which plant where it was manufactured

Z.
zray
LunatiK

Postby JET777 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi Z,

Great answer and very helpful.
The car's D.S.O; was San Jose. Would it have had red oxide ?
My 66 was Dearborn: What colour undercarriage for it?
Thanks again
Mark
JET777
eKsposed

Postby C6ZZKGT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:42 pm

JET777 wrote:Hi Z,

Great answer and very helpful.
The car's D.S.O; was San Jose. Would it have had red oxide ?
My 66 was Dearborn: What colour undercarriage for it?
Thanks again
Mark

Just so you understand, the DSO is the Ford sales district code and not the assembly plant.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby JET777 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:27 am

Thanks Fred,