4100 autolite on a cobra 4V intake

Anything from daily drivers to weekend warriors. Get info about performance parts/upgrades and those not-so-original parts.

4100 autolite on a cobra 4V intake

Postby chucks302 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:18 pm

I have a 4100 autolite carb that i would like to use with a cobra 4V aluminum intake manifold with a factory 1 inch spacer so i can have proper PCV operation, anyone tried this and have a good gasket seal without carb to intake vacume leaks, thanks, chuck.
chucks302
Kommitted

Re: 4100 autolite on a cobra 4V intake

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:12 pm

chucks302 wrote:I have a 4100 autolite carb that i would like to use with a cobra 4V aluminum intake manifold with a factory 1 inch spacer so i can have proper PCV operation, anyone tried this and have a good gasket seal without carb to intake vacume leaks, thanks, chuck.

I ran into a sealing issue with this combination myself and I will need to check my notes to see how I fixed it.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby chucks302 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:46 am

Thanks Fred, i also have a edelbrock torker 289 intake i could use but would like to run the cobra intake if possible, chuck.
chucks302
Kommitted

Postby zray » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 am

The stock one inch spacer will not work at all. Bad leaks. The best fix is to buy a phenolic block spacer in the thickness you desire and drill a small hole in the rear of it that will open into the rear two chambers. Then epoxy a 1/4" brass fitting into the drilled hole, attach your PCV hole to the fitting and you are done. You will need an adaptor to reduce the stock hose down to the smaller size. Of curse you can use a larger diameter brass fitting if the spacer is thick enough to accommodate it.

Alternatively you can buy a 3/8" thick Boss 302 spacer and flip it so the PCV fitting is facing to the rear. These are made of plastic and thin where the metal PCV hose is attached, so you have to be careful when installing the hose or you WILL break it. There was a guy on the Boss 302 forum who made these in aluminum, but unfortunately he has passed away. I bought a couple of them years ago to use on my '66 GT350 with vintage Paxton. Hood clearance was tight and a thicker spacer wouldn't work for me. But if you have plenty of clearance , and you should, then I'd advise getting a 1" thick phenolic spacer from Summit.com and drilling it for a PCV nipple as outlines above.

If you are wanting the spacer to have a stock look, then you can mask it off and paint the edges with an aluminum paint so it looks similar to the stock spacer.

This photo is of one of the Boss 302 type spacers I bought. This one varies from stock specs in that the PCV nipple is straight, but you get the idea. NPD sell these, but they are made of plastic and nipple is curved. I don't know of any source for these thin spacers in aluminum anymore, but you Should be able to find a thicker one in phenolic material anywhere like summit, etc.

Z
zray
LunatiK

Postby chucks302 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:36 pm

zray wrote:The stock one inch spacer will not work at all. Bad leaks. The best fix is to buy a phenolic block spacer in the thickness you desire and drill a small hole in the rear of it that will open into the rear two chambers. Then epoxy a 1/4" brass fitting into the drilled hole, attach your PCV hole to the fitting and you are done. You will need an adaptor to reduce the stock hose down to the smaller size. Of curse you can use a larger diameter brass fitting if the spacer is thick enough to accommodate it.

Alternatively you can buy a 3/8" thick Boss 302 spacer and flip it so the PCV fitting is facing to the rear. These are made of plastic and thin where the metal PCV hose is attached, so you have to be careful when installing the hose or you WILL break it. There was a guy on the Boss 302 forum who made these in aluminum, but unfortunately he has passed away. I bought a couple of them years ago to use on my '66 GT350 with vintage Paxton. Hood clearance was tight and a thicker spacer wouldn't work for me. But if you have plenty of clearance , and you should, then I'd advise getting a 1" thick phenolic spacer from Summit.com and drilling it for a PCV nipple as outlines above.

If you are wanting the spacer to have a stock look, then you can mask it off and paint the edges with an aluminum paint so it looks similar to the stock spacer.

This photo is of one of the Boss 302 type spacers I bought. This one varies from stock specs in that the PCV nipple is straight, but you get the idea. NPD sell these, but they are made of plastic and nipple is curved. I don't know of any source for these thin spacers in aluminum anymore, but you Should be able to find a thicker one in phenolic material anywhere like summit, etc.

Z
Thanks Zray for the advise and info provided, chuck.
chucks302
Kommitted

Return to Modified