Vintage paxton question

Anything from daily drivers to weekend warriors. Get info about performance parts/upgrades and those not-so-original parts.

Vintage paxton question

Postby tim65fastback » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:48 am

Hi everyone, heres my first question on the forum as a newbie here. I've owned my 65 2+2 since 1979. I've always been into the mechanical modifications with stock body theme. My goal some 30 years ago was to install an original Paxton set up on the car. But its never happened, instead I spent spare money and time acquiring other cars and projects, but feel its time I returned to where it all began, as its still the most fun of any Mustang I have owned. Currently my car is equipped with a wide-ratio toploader, 28 spline 9-inch with detroit locker / 3.50 gears, and weld on over-ride traction bars, and the suspension is lowered with the traditional 1-inch A-arm mod, a front anti-rollbar which came off a 66 Shelby (that was being broken up in about 1982) and with Konis all round. Its got a monte carlo bar and an export brace, Branda 620lb front springs, and reverse eye rears. It sits on 15-inch 67 Shelby replicas. I love to go round corners but am also a quarter mile enthusiast. The current engine is a 70/302 bottom end with forged pistons and a Comp hydraulic cam, and a pair of early 289Hi-Po heads. I have an Edelbrock Torker 1 intake with a 650 d/p, fed by a Carter super mechanical fuel pump, and tri-y headers.I am not into scoops, so it all fits under the stock hood. For ignition a blaster coil with An Accel racing 11 distributor.The intake and carb worked really well when it had an HP289 in it, which revved better than the current one mainly due I think to the ported heads and bigger valves on that engine. On my engine stand I've got a 70 302 Boss shortblock with some Ross custom pistons and a pair of Edelbrock Performer rpm heads, with a comp solid flat tappet cam. Something I started building 20 years ago. So which way should I go, opinions please ? I keep looking at the Paxton and just cant decide. Or should I be using those early HP heads with some bigger valves, to stay with a 'retro' theme. (I've even got a set of new big Manley s/s valves in their box but never had the heart to modify the heads from stock). I dont think the primary tube diameter of the tri-y's do it any favours, but being so low am not sure there is anything else to use other than having something custom made up header-wise. Oh, ive got an HP289 distributor knocking about too, but favoured the racing 2 for better bearing in the top. I've become stuck in a bit of a time warp, and need advice on what set up will make the car the most fun to drive. If any of you have done any of this, please enlighten me !! Thanks guys
tim65fastback
eKsposed

Re: Vintage paxton question

Postby C6ZZKGT » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:39 am

I am sure that ZRAY will chine in on this as he has had really good experiences with a Paxton setup on his own car.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby zray » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:55 am

I've put several vintage Paxtons on my GT350's in years past. I like them. There are several simple techniques to getting them to be reliable and also have a very very long life.

1). Install a fluid cooler. In my view this is not an option. Keeping the fluid cool is key for longevity. When the ball drive components get too hot there is big drop off in boost, which isn't all that great to begin with. Craig C. of Paradise Wheels sells the fluid cooler apparatus. Also he owns the copyright rights to manufacture the ball drive vintage Paxtons. He has all the parts as well as complete blower assemblies.

2) use the best fluid you can find. My personal favorite is the synthetic version of B & M Trick Shift.

3). Run the correct carb with the needed modifications. The Holley Stret HP 650 is the best carb for a 289 HiPo and the vintage Paxton combination. It will need some basic modifications such as solid floats, power valve channel enlarged, and increased secondary jetting to name some of them .

4). To get the most out of the Paxton, you will need to construct an air diffuser. Not mandatory, but it does help high rpm performance.

5). You don't need a fancy aftermarket ignition system. The stock HiPo dist.will do just fine. I normally advance the initial timing and switch the weights so the 10L weight is in the active limiting slot / pin. Total timing MIGHT need to be reduced to 37-38 degrees BTDC. But not always, I'd try the stock setting of 40 degrees BTDC first.

6). Stock HiPo 10.0:1 pistons can also be used without any issues with too much compression. The vintage Paxton doesn't have the boost numbers that modern superchargers do.

7). The stock HiPo bottom end requires no modifications to handle the extra power.

Hope this helps.

Z
zray
LunatiK

Postby C6ZZKGT » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:06 am

zray wrote:I've put several vintage Paxtons on my GT350's in years past. I like them. There are several simple techniques to getting them to be reliable and also have a very very long life.

1). Install a fluid cooler. In my view this is not an option. Keeping the fluid cool is key for longevity. When the ball drive components get too hot there is big drop off in boost, which isn't all that great to begin with. Craig C. of Paradise Wheels sells the fluid cooler apparatus. Also he owns the copyright rights to manufacture the ball drive vintage Paxtons. He has all the parts as well as complete blower assemblies.

2) use the best fluid you can find. My personal favorite is the synthetic version of B & M Trick Shift.

3). Run the correct carb with the needed modifications. The Holley Stret HP 650 is the best carb for a 289 HiPo and the vintage Paxton combination. It will need some basic modifications such as solid floats, power valve channel enlarged, and increased secondary jetting to name some of them .

4). To get the most out of the Paxton, you will need to construct an air diffuser. Not mandatory, but it does help high rpm performance.

5). You don't need a fancy aftermarket ignition system. The stock HiPo dist.will do just fine. I normally advance the initial timing and switch the weights so the 10L weight is in the active limiting slot / pin. Total timing MIGHT need to be reduced to 37-38 degrees BTDC. But not always, I'd try the stock setting of 40 degrees BTDC first.

6). Stock HiPo 10.0:1 pistons can also be used without any issues with too much compression. The vintage Paxton doesn't have the boost numbers that modern superchargers do.

7). The stock HiPo bottom end requires no modifications to handle the extra power.

Hope this helps.

Z

Great advice, Z. Thanks for chiming in.

This setup is a nice vintage way to increase horsepower and retain the "old school" look.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby tim65fastback » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks very much for the feedback. Ok, a couple more questions. How much underhood clearance is needed for the 'Cobra' enclosure ? My current Edelbrock Torker 1 is probably unsuitable (??) as it has the slightly offset carb flange, so what intake did you find worked best and will it fit under a stock hood with the Cobra enclosure ? If I can use the Torker 1, all the better, its currently got a 14-inch K+N drop base filter ontop of the 650 Double Pumper and clears the stock hood but only by about 1/4 inch. Thanks again, hope you wont mind more dumb questions as I work towards this.....
tim65fastback
eKsposed

Postby zray » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:43 pm

I have experience using two intakes with the Cobra lettered enclosure. Either one of these will work with the stock Ford hood:

1) cobra hi rise intake. Blue Thunder products makes a pretty good reproduction of these. In fact, the repro flows better.

2). Summit stage 2 intake manifold for 289/302. This is probably an Edlebrock knock off of some kind. If you don't like, can't find, or can't afford the Cobra manifold, the summit one is a decent flowing alternative.

With either one of those you have to ditch the Ford one inch spacer. The maximum spacer that will fit under the stock hood is 1/2". I used a Boss 302 spacer that is 3/8" thick and it has a steel nipple for a PCV hose. The repros of these are plastic and are pretty fragile, not much plastic thickness to support the area where the PCV nipple comes out. So you have to take care when putting a hose on or taking it off. There was a guy on the Boss 302 forum that was making the Boss 302 thin spacers w/ PCV nipple out of aluminum, which was really cool. I bought a couple of them from him. But he passed away, and that's the end of that.

I've also used a 1/2" phenolic spacer and drilled it myself for a PCV hose fitting.

If you use the Cobra hi rise manifold you can just use the #8 runner for the PCV intake hose like Shelby did. It does make the #8'cylinder run just a bit hotter than the other cylinders, but by very little. Not enough to hurt anything in my experience.

Z
Last edited by zray on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zray
LunatiK

Postby tim65fastback » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks very much Z, really appreciated
tim65fastback
eKsposed

Postby tim65fastback » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:52 pm

I found their site, which one is it ?

http://www.bluethunderauto.com/id22.html
tim65fastback
eKsposed

Postby zray » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:02 pm

tim65fastback wrote:I found their site, which one is it ?

http://www.bluethunderauto.com/id22.html

The first three are the same manifold, they just have different cast-in logos. The Cobra logo manifolds are usually out of stock. I think Jim Cowles of Shelby Parts & Restortion in Green Bay, WI recently advertised a cobra logo blue thunder manifold on the saac forum, but it sold pretty quickly.

I think you have to buy from a dealer, not blue thunder

Z
zray
LunatiK

Return to Modified