K Engine

Post links and desKriptions of 289 HiPo/K-Kode specifiK parts you see on ebay or other Kar sites. This seKtion used to help determine the Kurrent value of items.

Re: K Engine

Postby evantugby » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:26 am

Does anyone find this price reasonable, considering the originality of it? Or is $12500 up in the stratosphere?
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signal flare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
evantugby
Kommitted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:19 pm

douglashwy wrote:For Sale: Original 289 HIPO Motor
COMPLETELY ORIGINAL 289 HIPO MOTOR DATE CODED 5-H-21 (MAY 21, 1965), A 1965 MOTOR. THIS HIPO HAS NEVER BEEN OPENED AND IS STANDARD BORE WITH FLAT TOP PISTONS WITH VALVE RELIEFS, RINGS, 5/16 BOLT C3-AE-D RODS, WITH THICK HEAVY DUTY MAIN BEARING CAPS, FREEZE PLUGS, HIPO CRANKSHAFT WITH "HATCHET COUNTERWEIGHT", LARGE THICK BALLANCER, NARROW DESIGN ROLLER TIMING CHAIN, HIPO SOLID LIFTER CAMSHAFT AND SOLID LIFTERS, BELLHOUSING AND CLUTCH COMPONENTS, HIPO EXHAUST MANIFOLDS, DUAL POINT DISTRIBUTOR, HIPO CARB (REBUILT), 4 BARREL INTAKE, HIPO HEADS AND COMPONENTS, ORIGINAL BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP, AND ORIGINAL HIPO WATER PUMP. josephsclassiccars.com
(401) 226-3278
Methuen, MA

There are some statements on this engine that do not fit. The date code of 5H21 is actually August 21, 1965 and NOT May 21, 1965 which makes this a 1966 engine. He states 5/16" rod bolts which may be an error in his statement. I was at the guys house a while back and he may have shown me the engine but I was not there for the engine. I would sure want to know the date codes on all of the components to see if they really belong together.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:25 pm

evantugby wrote:Does anyone find this price reasonable, considering the originality of it? Or is $12500 up in the stratosphere?

Evan, You may want to look at my comments in the post following yours. If you had the Kar that was missing this engine with the matching VIN, it would be a no brainer. Without that, the price is pretty high. Having been at his house, I can tell you that he is not giving anything away. It is a tough drive to get there but necessary to make sure of what you are getting in person.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:14 pm

evantugby wrote:Does anyone find this price reasonable, considering the originality of it? Or is $12500 up in the stratosphere?

As Fred said, if this VIN matches an existing vehicle that has no engine, maybe it's a "no brainer" for someone with LOT'S of surplus cash. $12,500 is most certainly the stratosphere.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby evantugby » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 am

C6ZZKGT wrote:
douglashwy wrote:For Sale: Original 289 HIPO Motor
COMPLETELY ORIGINAL 289 HIPO MOTOR DATE CODED 5-H-21 (MAY 21, 1965), A 1965 MOTOR. THIS HIPO HAS NEVER BEEN OPENED AND IS STANDARD BORE WITH FLAT TOP PISTONS WITH VALVE RELIEFS, RINGS, 5/16 BOLT C3-AE-D RODS, WITH THICK HEAVY DUTY MAIN BEARING CAPS, FREEZE PLUGS, HIPO CRANKSHAFT WITH "HATCHET COUNTERWEIGHT", LARGE THICK BALLANCER, NARROW DESIGN ROLLER TIMING CHAIN, HIPO SOLID LIFTER CAMSHAFT AND SOLID LIFTERS, BELLHOUSING AND CLUTCH COMPONENTS, HIPO EXHAUST MANIFOLDS, DUAL POINT DISTRIBUTOR, HIPO CARB (REBUILT), 4 BARREL INTAKE, HIPO HEADS AND COMPONENTS, ORIGINAL BUTTON TOP FUEL PUMP, AND ORIGINAL HIPO WATER PUMP. josephsclassiccars.com
(401) 226-3278
Methuen, MA

There are some statements on this engine that do not fit. The date code of 5H21 is actually August 21, 1965 and NOT May 21, 1965 which makes this a 1966 engine. He states 5/16" rod bolts which may be an error in his statement. I was at the guys house a while back and he may have shown me the engine but I was not there for the engine. I would sure want to know the date codes on all of the components to see if they really belong together.

-Fred-

Thanks gentlemen, for the info and perspective!
And Fred, great catch on the errors in his ad. When the seller told me it could be a 1965 or 1966 engine a red flag was raised in my mind because it sounded to late to be a 1965.
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signal flare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
evantugby
Kommitted

Postby SixT5HiPo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 pm

THIS used engine is for sale by ebay member " redbird427428 " for $10,500.

" this is a original 289 hi po engine out of a 1966 gt 350 Shelby this motor has been in storage for 35 years the date code on both heads are 5 H23 the date on the block is 5J10 it has the original flywheel intake balancer valve covers I resently pulled the intake valve covers and cleaned them and pulled the pan to inspect this motor was last gone through by a well known man in the area of meadows of dan va near stewart va L . O . STANLEY whitch was a big time ford man worked with Holman and moody he was big in to balancing motors I put a rear main seal in it and the main rear bearing looked like new and had a 1972 date on it it has forged pistons in it and the timing chain is very tight run very little since built all of the information that I am listing is from the man I got this from and he is the one that had the car it came out of he still had the hood and gas cap that was on his car it was a dark green gold stripes the motor turns free and is very clean as you can see from the pictures it has a boss 302 windage tray installed as you can see from the pics it was defentally worked on by Stanley the only things it is missing is the aluminum pan and the distributor which was replaced by a Mallory also have the original fan blade also from the car it has a new clutch and pressure plate that was on it this is a rare find and a nice piece to put in a clone or a real Shelby missing the date coded motor sold as is where is this will have to be picked up by buyer only I will not be responsible for shipping this item it will be up to buyer to pick it up could not list all the pics I have of the motor I have pics of the date codes e mail any questions thanks for looking "
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby SixT5HiPo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:58 pm

THIS modified rebuilt engine is for sale by eBay member " wadcolsc-0 " for $13,500.00, or make an offer.

"Up for sale is my rare 289 hipo engine
Heads are date coded the same
Service replacement block no vin stamp
Balancer date code matches block
This engine was balanced without the hatchet to run double roller timing chain
Arp rod bolts in the hipo rods
Trw forged hipo replacement pistons
Bored .030 over
10/10 crank
Solid lifter cam
Edelbrock early period correct small water temp hole (not like the ones now days that have the big water temp sender) f28 dual quad intake with carter carbs
Replacment hipo exhaust manifolds

This is a fresh rebuild thats never been ran .....

This is sold as is... a non refundable deposit of $1000 is to be made within 24 hours of auction ending or it goes back up for sale cash payment in person or other arrangement made between buyer and seller prefer pick up in person so you can see exactly what you are getting ..
I do not want to be responcible for shipping this rare engine

Email or leave phone number for any questions
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby SixT5HiPo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:45 am

SixT5HiPo wrote:THIS modified rebuilt engine is for sale by eBay member " wadcolsc-0 " for $13,500.00, or make an offer.

Bored .030 over
10/10 crank
Solid lifter cam
Edelbrock early period correct small water temp hole (not like the ones now days that have the big water temp sender) f28 dual quad intake with carter carbs

This is sold as is... a non refundable deposit of $1000 is to be made within 24 hours of auction ending or it goes back up for sale cash payment in person or other arrangement made between buyer and seller prefer pick up in person so you can see exactly what you are getting ..

Price lowered to an even $10,000.00, (or make an offer).
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 am

SixT5HiPo wrote:
SixT5HiPo wrote:THIS modified rebuilt engine is for sale by eBay member " wadcolsc-0 " for $13,500.00, or make an offer.

Bored .030 over
10/10 crank
Solid lifter cam

This engine has been ended by the seller stating "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:24 pm

SixT5HiPo wrote:THIS used engine is for sale by ebay member " redbird427428 " for $10,500.

" this is a original 289 hi po engine out of a 1966 gt 350 Shelby this motor has been in storage for 35 years the date code on both heads are 5 H23 the date on the block is 5J10 it has the original flywheel intake balancer valve covers I resently pulled the intake valve covers and cleaned them and pulled the pan to inspect this motor was last gone through by a well known man in the area of meadows of dan va near stewart va L . O . STANLEY whitch was a big time ford man worked with Holman and moody he was big in to balancing motors I put a rear main seal in it and the main rear bearing looked like new and had a 1972 date on it it has forged pistons in it and the timing chain is very tight run very little since built all of the information that I am listing is from the man I got this from and he is the one that had the car it came out of he still had the hood and gas cap that was on his car it was a dark green gold stripes the motor turns free and is very clean as you can see from the pictures it has a boss 302 windage tray installed as you can see from the pics it was defentally worked on by Stanley the only things it is missing is the aluminum pan and the distributor which was replaced by a Mallory also have the original fan blade also from the car it has a new clutch and pressure plate that was on it this is a rare find and a nice piece to put in a clone or a real Shelby missing the date coded motor sold as is where is this will have to be picked up by buyer only I will not be responsible for shipping this item it will be up to buyer to pick it up could not list all the pics I have of the motor I have pics of the date codes e mail any questions thanks for looking "

This engine received no bids by February 14, 2018 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:46 pm

C6ZZKGT wrote:
SixT5HiPo wrote:

Bored .030 over
10/10 crank
Solid lifter cam

This engine has been ended by the seller stating "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-

This modified rebuilt engine is back on Ebay again with a new one cent lower Buy-It-Now of $9,999.99 or make offer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282851202145?s ... :MEWAX:VRI

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:08 am

Saw THIS while looking for something else...Carb has an automatic choke. Just sayin'
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby C6ZZKGT » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49 pm

SixT5HiPo wrote:Saw THIS while looking for something else...Carb has an automatic choke. Just sayin'

Here is a small list of easily visible items, Mexican main caps, C8ZE balancer, screw together fuel pump and aftermarket water pump. Gene already pointed out the carburetor which the seller states as correct. :( The distributor appears to be a Motorcraft. I do not see the $14,000 asking price with all of these items in question.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:45 pm

C6ZZKGT wrote:
SixT5HiPo wrote:Saw THIS while looking for something else...Carb has an automatic choke. Just sayin'

I do not see the $14,000 asking price with all of these items in question.

-Fred-

Exactly...And what cam is inside?
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 pm

C6ZZKGT wrote:
SixT5HiPo wrote:

Bored .030 over
10/10 crank
Solid lifter cam

-Fred-

This modified rebuilt engine is back on Ebay again with a new one cent lower Buy-It-Now of $9,999.99 or make offer:

-Fred-[/quote]

This engine was ended by the seller February 23, 2018 with the following statement "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Here is a 66 Hipo engine for sale by Ebay member "torquetubes" with a starting bid of $7,500.00:

1966 Ford Hipo K Code Motor, this motor was last run in 1968 when the car it was in which was a 2+2 fastback was rolled and totaled. The engine was removed and was to be put into a 1940 Ford coupe but that never happened and I acquired the coupe and motor about 15 years ago. The motor is internally in very good condition with no damage at all. I did open it up to inspect it so there are no longer any gaskets in the motor. The VIN number on the block is either unreadable or not there as I cannot find anywhere the stamp would be, I have talked to several Mustang people that have stated not all blocks were stamped at the time of manufacturing. What I do know is that it’s missing the alternator, exhaust manifolds, flywheel and the fuel pump must have been replaced at one time. This motor has been in our town since new and 100% definitely came out of a K code Mustang. The Carburetor, distributor and all other parts are original to the motor, it has the large harmonic balancer, bigger bolt connecting rods, Larger main caps, screw in rocker arm studs and solid lifter camshaft. The tag on the manifold reads 289 C 66 and below 5 J 245-S which equates to a late 1965 build date and 245-S (1966 289 HiPo w/MT (245S).

The carburetor is stuck and has the numbers C6ZF C A 5HE, has original air cleaner and valve covers. The heads are each stamped with a 19 on one and a 20 on the other. Other stamps on the block are 5J21T or I , C5AE-6015E. Motor spins over freely. This is not something that needs machine work by any means. My original plans were to simply re-ring it with a super light hone job 9there are no edges on the tops of the cylinder’s. The car was only driven for a couple years but true mileage is unknown but I would assume it can’t have many miles from only 2-3 years of use. Call with any questions. 973-222-5279. Motor is located in northern NJ at 07848 zip code.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-289- ... 0012.m1985

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:54 pm

C6ZZKGT wrote:Here is a 66 Hipo engine for sale by Ebay member "torquetubes" with a starting bid of $7,500.00:

1966 Ford Hipo K Code Motor, this motor was last run in 1968 when the car it was in which was a 2+2 fastback was rolled and totaled. The engine was removed and was to be put into a 1940 Ford coupe but that never happened and I acquired the coupe and motor about 15 years ago. The motor is internally in very good condition with no damage at all. I did open it up to inspect it so there are no longer any gaskets in the motor. The VIN number on the block is either unreadable or not there as I cannot find anywhere the stamp would be, I have talked to several Mustang people that have stated not all blocks were stamped at the time of manufacturing. What I do know is that it’s missing the alternator, exhaust manifolds, flywheel and the fuel pump must have been replaced at one time. This motor has been in our town since new and 100% definitely came out of a K code Mustang. The Carburetor, distributor and all other parts are original to the motor, it has the large harmonic balancer, bigger bolt connecting rods, Larger main caps, screw in rocker arm studs and solid lifter camshaft. The tag on the manifold reads 289 C 66 and below 5 J 245-S which equates to a late 1965 build date and 245-S (1966 289 HiPo w/MT (245S).

The carburetor is stuck and has the numbers C6ZF C A 5HE, has original air cleaner and valve covers. The heads are each stamped with a 19 on one and a 20 on the other. Other stamps on the block are 5J21T or I , C5AE-6015E. Motor spins over freely. This is not something that needs machine work by any means. My original plans were to simply re-ring it with a super light hone job 9there are no edges on the tops of the cylinder’s. The car was only driven for a couple years but true mileage is unknown but I would assume it can’t have many miles from only 2-3 years of use. Call with any questions. 973-222-5279. Motor is located in northern NJ at 07848 zip code.

-Fred-

A real survivor. Located in nearby NJ. I'd like to see it if it doesn't sell.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:17 am

C6ZZKGT wrote:
SixT5HiPo wrote:

Bored .030 over
10/10 crank
Solid lifter cam

-Fred-

-Fred-[/quote]

This engine was ended by the seller February 23, 2018 with the following statement "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-[/quote]

This modified rebuilt engine is back on Ebay again with a new much higher Buy-It-Now of $11,111.00 or make offer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/289-hipo-engin ... 0011.m1850

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 am

C6ZZKGT wrote:
SixT5HiPo wrote:

Bored .030 over
10/10 crank
Solid lifter cam

-Fred-

-Fred-[/quote]

-Fred-[/quote]

This modified rebuilt engine is back on Ebay again with a new much higher Buy-It-Now of $11,111.00 or make offer:

-Fred-[/quote]

This new greatly increased price sure came out of nowhere!! :o

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:18 pm

THIS modified rebuilt engine is for sale by eBay member " wadcolsc-0 " for $13,500.00, or make an offer.

Bored .030 over
10/10 crank
Solid lifter cam

This new greatly increased price sure came out of nowhere!! :o

-Fred-

It's still lower than the original price of $13,500.00. Wonder why it isn't $11,111.11...
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby C6ZZKGT » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:10 pm

SixT5HiPo wrote:
C6ZZKGT wrote:Here is a 66 Hipo engine for sale by Ebay member "torquetubes" with a starting bid of $7,500.00:

-Fred-

This auction was ended by the seller February 27, 2018 with the following statement "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:33 pm

Here is a 66 Hipo engine for sale by Ebay member "torquetubes" with a starting bid of $7,500.00:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-289- ... 00012.m198

This auction was ended by the seller February 27, 2018 with the following statement "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-

Guess I won't be going to see it then.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby Zed » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi, I just saw this one on eBay Australia.
Listed as - Ford 289 K Code Hi Po Long Engine 5 Bolt Block. Sunbeam Tiger, K Code Hairline

What a bargain at that price, how hard is it to get the missing carb, fuel pump and exhaust manifolds.

Starting bid $10000 AUD.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25344995370 ... 3449953702
Zed
OKKupied

Postby SixT5HiPo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:23 am

Zed wrote:Hi, I just saw this one on eBay Australia.
Listed as - Ford 289 K Code Hi Po Long Engine 5 Bolt Block. Sunbeam Tiger, K Code Hairline

What a bargain at that price, how hard is it to get the missing carb, fuel pump and exhaust manifolds.

Starting bid $10000 AUD.

$10,000 Australian Dollars equals $7,719.00 US Dollars. Seller states that an "extra" 6 bolt block and dual point distributor go with the deal for good measure. Sale is restricted to AU buyers only.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:42 am

SixT5HiPo wrote:
Zed wrote:Hi, I just saw this one on eBay Australia.

Starting bid $10000 AUD.

$10,000 Australian Dollars equals $7,719.00 US Dollars. Seller states that an "extra" 6 bolt block and dual point distributor go with the deal for good measure. Sale is restricted to AU buyers only.

This one was built with low compression pistons.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

PreviousNext

Return to Parts: Drivetrain or Body