Documenting K-code block vin numbers

The latest news and announcements about this site. Also the place to offer suggestions, Komments, Kriticisims, and such for the HPM eKschange as well as the main site.

Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby evantugby » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Members,
Has there been a concerted effort for all HiPo members on this website to document their block vin number currently in their Kar? If so, where can I find this list? If not, we should create one so people might be paired up with their kar's original block.

What about the Shelby kars? Have they posted their block's vin number anywhere for us to reference? I would really like to find my kar's original block, along with most other K-code mustang owners I would imagine.

Thoughts?
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signalflare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
User avatar
evantugby
OKKupied
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby C6ZZKGT » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:54 pm

The Shelby owners are least likely to post their Ford VIN that would be on their blocks as that is a cross check for originality and is somewhat guarded by the SAAC people. If you submit a Ford VIN to the SAAC people, I believe that they will tell whether it matches a Shelby or not.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5826
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby zray » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:21 pm

A forum search will reveal many postings regarding this topic. I'll try to distill them all down to a couple of sentences.

A VIN number on the engine block doesn't PROVE anything regarding the originality of the engine. However, together with the TOTALITY of all the date codes on the engine, a stamped engine VIN can provide an indication of originality. That's the best case scenario.

The engine VIN stamping is the easiest of all VIN. numbers to add by a machine shop, an individual, or a high trained monkey. Personally I've seen over a dozen engine VIN's added by a machine shop at the direction of an owner, in order to further the appearance of originality. Therefore the existence of an engine VIN is not something that should add monetary value to a car, although many sellers try very hard to make you believe that it does.

Z
zray
LunatiK
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby evantugby » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:18 am

Fred, Zray, still, my question remains. Is there a place where block vin numbers are consolidated to reference which Kar they are currently powering?
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signalflare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
User avatar
evantugby
OKKupied
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby C6ZZKGT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 am

evantugby wrote:Fred, Zray, still, my question remains. Is there a place where block vin numbers are consolidated to reference which Kar they are currently powering?


I am unaware of any place with a reference that you are seeking. The best way is to just do a search by the VIN.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5826
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby evantugby » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:50 am

I think it would be beneficial to provide a dedicated space on this forum that will encourage owners to provide the block vin in their k-code as a method to encourage this documentation. We might be able to match up a lot of k-code owners with their kar's original block. Is this something we can have the site moderator set up?
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signalflare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
User avatar
evantugby
OKKupied
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby zray » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Where are all these orphan engine blocks going to be coming from ?

If by some miracle a K code block does appear, the news of it usually makes its way to the K code and SAAC forums in short order. If someone has that car, then they'll know what to do.

The few times I've seen a K code block surface, often it was so high priced, it wasn't worth it to pursue.

Common sense will tell you that most missing original blocks were removed from the car decades ago and were melted down to be used as Honda and Toyota parts.

Personally I don't see why everyone would want to offer up any more info about their car than they have to, but nothing is stopping you from from starting a topic with your own information, and see what happens.


Z
zray
LunatiK
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby evantugby » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Zray,
I agree that orphaned k-code engine blocks make there way to this forum and SAAC. However, while there are some orphan k-code stamped engine blocks out there, many are not orphaned and still providing power today in kars they weren't originally mated to. Mine is one of those stories.

Consider this: My K-code vin number on the apron was made public when it was for sale but the engine block vin number was a mystery and not known in cyberspace. Now that it's known in cyberspace, someone can discover it and contact me if they desired to potentially secure their kar's original engine. It's only logical that there are many many more non-matching vins out there waiting for that engine k-code vin to be advertised.

Also, you said something interesting. Do you really think "most" k-code vin blocks that were removed from the kar it was born in were simply "melted down"? For example: I pulled my A-code engine out of my car and sold it. Now it powers a Galaxy with a much larger radiator.

What information/source do you have that K-code vin blocks were melted down/destroyed? Is this standard practice? I would love to read about it.
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signalflare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
User avatar
evantugby
OKKupied
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby zray » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:58 pm

My information comes from driving by the local junkyard and watching hundreds engine blocks being loaded onto semi's headed for the west coast. There weren't too many engines being pulled because the owner simply wanted a different power plant. Most were pulled because they blowed up. In my small town alone, in 65/66 there were always 2 or 3 k codes sitting behind the dealership awaiting a replacement engine, because the original engine had blowed up and was headed for Asia as scrap iron. No one wanted them.

Z
zray
LunatiK
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby 289kford » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:59 pm

My thoughts are that the two main reasons the Kar and engine would no longer be together
1) the engine had a catastrophic failure and was replaced. Bonus points if the new engine was another hipo via used, short block or service engine from the dealer.
2) the body served it's useful life by being wrecked or rotted when these were just 'used cars' and the engine found a new home.
Obviously it could happen, wasn't there a thread here recently where the 2 were united?
I don't think too many came out because of a whim weekend project. But, who knows? After all, these are just used cars.
Last edited by 289kford on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
289kford
Kommitted
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 am
Location: N.E. Ohio

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby evantugby » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:33 pm

Isn't it possible that "blown up" engines were pulled and replaced and that "blown up" engine was completely rebuilt and sold again?

My A-code engine was overbored. Instead of doing a rebuild and sleeving the pistons I replaced the engine. The engine still exists and received a new life because someone put the money into it. I just never thought these items were being melted down, especially K-codes motors. Can an engine really be so far gone (blown up) that it can't be fixed?

So my next question: Which section of this forum should I start such a thread. A place where members can submit their vin numbers of the block they are looking for and the block they currently have in their kar?
Last edited by evantugby on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signalflare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
User avatar
evantugby
OKKupied
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby C6ZZKGT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:57 pm

I would put it in the most logical place being the lost and found section. There are already a number of entries there.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5826
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby K Code » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:28 pm

evantugby wrote:Isn't it possible that "blown up" engines were pulled and replaced and that "blown up" engine was completely rebuilt and sold again?

My A-code engine was overbored. Instead of doing a rebuild and sleeving the pistons I replaced the engine. The engine still exists and received a new life because someone put the money into it. I just never thought these items were being melted down, especially K-codes motors. Can an engine really be so far gone (blown up) that it can't be fixed?

So my next question: Which section of this forum should I start such a thread. A place where members can submit their vin numbers of the block they are looking for and the block they currently have in their kar?


I really like your train of thought.
K Code
Kommitted
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:05 am

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby 289kford » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:48 am

Engines blown up under warranty, all 90 days of it, would have been repaired cheapest way per Ford guidelines to the dealer. If it could have been rebuilt, it would have been. Probably out of warranty repairs too.
That said, for engines or short blocks replaced, there was a core charge involved then as there is today. Something happened to the core, would the rebuilder keep it intact as a HIPO, or just rebuild a 289?
I have read that hipo service replacement short blocks purchased from dealers were new, not remanufactured, at least into the early 70's.
Need some info from a old timer that was there, too early for me.
User avatar
289kford
Kommitted
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 am
Location: N.E. Ohio

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:38 am

289kford wrote:Engines blown up under warranty, all 90 days of it, would have been repaired cheapest way per Ford guidelines to the dealer. If it could have been rebuilt, it would have been. Probably out of warranty repairs too.
That said, for engines or short blocks replaced, there was a core charge involved then as there is today. Something happened to the core, would the rebuilder keep it intact as a HIPO, or just rebuild a 289?
I have read that hipo service replacement short blocks purchased from dealers were new, not remanufactured, at least into the early 70's.
Need some info from a old timer that was there, too early for me.


The Ford authorized remanufacturer in the SoCal area was GPD, Genuine Parts Distributors, and they did NOT offer remanufactured Hipo 289 short or long blocks. I would believe this to apply nationwide to Fords many other authorized remanufacturers.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5826
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby evantugby » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:57 am

Fred,
Can we get you, (as the moderator) make a sticky post on this that stays up where everyone can see it and they bounce in and out of this website in the future? That way it will stay visible and encourage K-code owners to document the block vin number currently providing them power to their car?
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signalflare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
User avatar
evantugby
OKKupied
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby C6ZZKGT » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:32 am

evantugby wrote:Fred,
Can we get you, (as the moderator) make a sticky post on this that stays up where everyone can see it and they bounce in and out of this website in the future? That way it will stay visible and encourage K-code owners to document the block vin number currently providing them power to their car?


Evan,
I have seen this sticky post on other forums but I have not seen it here and I am not familiar with how to do it. The same thing can be accomplished by just entering a post every week or so to the topic that you want to be on top. You can delete your older ones that are just there to keep the topic on top to keep the topic from becoming cluttered.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5826
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: Documenting K-code block vin numbers

Postby zray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:16 pm

C6ZZKGT wrote:
289kford wrote:Engines blown up under warranty, all 90 days of it, would have been repaired cheapest way per Ford guidelines to the dealer. If it could have been rebuilt, it would have been. Probably out of warranty repairs too.
That said, for engines or short blocks replaced, there was a core charge involved then as there is today. Something happened to the core, would the rebuilder keep it intact as a HIPO, or just rebuild a 289?
I have read that hipo service replacement short blocks purchased from dealers were new, not remanufactured, at least into the early 70's.
Need some info from a old timer that was there, too early for me.


The Ford authorized remanufacturer in the SoCal area was GPD, Genuine Parts Distributors, and they did NOT offer remanufactured Hipo 289 short or long blocks. I would believe this to apply nationwide to Fords many other authorized remanufacturers.

-Fred-


The authorized manufacturer in Oklahoma was Fred Jones Ford. They had several massive buildings taking up whole city blocks. But I never heard of them having squat to do with K codes either. The dealer in my town got whole engines from Ford for a long time, maybe as late as '68 or '69. After that, a few engines were rebuilt, but most of them were replaced with 302 long blocks from Fred Jones.
zray
LunatiK
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:07 pm


Return to HPM eKschange News and Komments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest