5f09k303995 transmission

If you find an engine, tranny, buck tag, build sheet, or any other documentation with a K VIN, post it here so it can hopefully be reunited with its Kar. You can also make an 'In Search Of' post with the VIN you're hoping to find.

5f09k303995 transmission

Postby evantugby » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:12 pm

This transmission is currently for sale by rawhitel0 in Cary, NC on ebay for $1250. Although the vin stamp is in an unusual location that I am not familiar with. Can anyone else confirm this is the wrong location for Ford to have stamped the vin on a toploader?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/282716028636?
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signalflare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
evantugby
OKKupied

Re: 5f09k303995 transmission

Postby evantugby » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:55 pm

HiPo Owners,
I need your help.

This ebay item auction: 282716028636 shows a location of a vin stamp that I have not seen before but vin appears to be stylistically accurate. The tag is indicating it is a true HiPo with HEH-BX but the vin location and font is my concern.

Question: Does anyone have DOCUMENTED evidence to show Ford Factory workers stamped these transmission vins in different locations on a toploader?
Question 2: Does anyone have an OPINION as to the validity of this vin location NOT being stamped at the Ford Factory?

Here is the link to the ebay auction to find out more about this HiPo Toploader with the odd vin location: https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/282716028636

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signalflare Red, black interior
evantugby
OKKupied

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:23 am

evantugby wrote:HiPo Owners,
I need your help.

This ebay item auction: 282716028636 shows a location of a vin stamp that I have not seen before but vin appears to be stylistically accurate. The tag is indicating it is a true HiPo with HEH-BX but the vin location and font is my concern.

Question: Does anyone have DOCUMENTED evidence to show Ford Factory workers stamped these transmission vins in different locations on a toploader?
Question 2: Does anyone have an OPINION as to the validity of this vin location NOT being stamped at the Ford Factory?

Here is the link to the ebay auction to find out more about this HiPo Toploader with the odd vin location: https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/282716028636

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

This transmission is an HEH-T and NOT an HEH-BX although both are Hipo transmission numbers.

The VIN location is correct for a Dearborn unit.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby evantugby » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:27 am

Fred,
Thanks for the correction. I was looking at several transmissions and got my tag info wrong but glad to know this vin location is correct. I really had thought all the transmission vins were placed underneath on the boss plate.
evantugby
OKKupied

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:49 am

evantugby wrote:Fred,
Thanks for the correction. I was looking at several transmissions and got my tag info wrong but glad to know this vin location is correct. I really had thought all the transmission vins were placed underneath on the boss plate.

The VIN stamps located at the lower rear machined area of the main case seem to only be done at San Jose.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby evantugby » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:51 am

C6ZZKGT wrote:

The VIN stamps located at the lower rear machined area of the main case seem to only be done at San Jose.

-Fred-

Fred,
I'm learning everyday! :) So this now makes me wonder, were Block vins placed in different locations between the different assembly plants? From what I know blocks only received their vin down by where the oil pan meets the block near where the battery cable grounds to the block.
evantugby
OKKupied

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 am

evantugby wrote:
C6ZZKGT wrote:

-Fred-

Fred,
I'm learning everyday! :) So this now makes me wonder, were Block vins placed in different locations between the different assembly plants? From what I know blocks only received their vin down by where the oil pan meets the block near where the battery cable grounds to the block.

You are correct about the location and this is the only place that I am aware of the VIN being stamped on these Hipo blocks. Beginning in 1968 the VINs were stamped on all blocks and transmissions regardless of engine horsepower by Federal mandate. This was more for anti theft reasons as far as I know. The VINs are stamped in areas where they are tougher to read and even tougher to modify. The small blocks are at the rear top of the block just in front of the bell housing area. Boss 429's are stamped at the rear of the clock on the left hand side facing the firewall where a mirror is the main way to read the number. Transmissions are stamped on the top side where you generally need a mirror to see the numbers. manual transmissions are stamped on the top of the case on the ridge behind where it attaches to the bell housing. These numbers can sometimes be seen by looking down the firewall behind the engine. Automatic transmissions are generally stamped on the top side of the main case more towards the center of the transmission definitely requiring a mirror.

I am under the firm belief that Hipo VINs stamped on both the transmissions and engines were done free hand after the drive train was installed in the Kar however I am open to opposing views. I say this because the Hipo VINs are in locations that would be accessible for stamping from below while the Kar is over a pit. Being as the engine and transmission assemblies are installed over a pit, stamping them at that time makes sense to me. Again, I am open to opposing views.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby evantugby » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:45 pm

So I hear you saying K-code Mustang blocks had a standardized location to stamp the vin, regardless of location built. Transmission, however, could have been anywhere accessible to the stamper.

Does anyone have pictures of various vin stamp locations on the toploader beside the boss plate and near the transmission drain plug?
evantugby
OKKupied

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:56 am

evantugby wrote:So I hear you saying K-code Mustang blocks had a standardized location to stamp the vin, regardless of location built. Transmission, however, could have been anywhere accessible to the stamper.

Does anyone have pictures of various vin stamp locations on the toploader beside the boss plate and near the transmission drain plug?

The two locations that you are mentioning are the only verified ones that I have seen. The odd one that showed up recently with the VIN stamped on the tail housing is suspect to me however it may be correct. That one could possibly have done by a new guy on a Monday morning after a tough weekend. ;)

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Return to Lost and Found