new member intro

Briefly introduce yourself, meet new members, or ask Kwestions on the use of the forums and this website. Stories and status updates about Kars should be posted in the Shop TalK section of the Members Only forum.

new member intro

Postby tim65fastback » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:07 am

Hello everyone and greetings from across the pond. I have two Mustangs and a third I have donated to my daughter. The three are a '65 C code fastback, I have had the car since 1979 when I was 15, a 70 Boss 302, owned for 4 years now, and a 65 fastback A code race car which has a Cleveland in it. Thats the one for my daughter. There are a few pics of my two here ; http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/tim65 ... t=2&page=1
hope the link works, I'm not great at putting up pictures on forums.
My old 65 did used to have a complete HP289 in it I built from secondhand castings and parts I found in auto-jumbles (swap meets), I raced if for a number of years until about 1990 when I sold the motor and converted it from auto to toploader. It does have HP289 heads on it though, on a thrown together motor I put in it some years ago !
Looking forward to learning new things here
tim65fastback
eKsposed

Re: new member intro

Postby chucks302 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:21 am

Tim welcome aboard, you will find a lot of valuable information as well as good people here , cool to have a member from the UK here, chuck.
chucks302
Kommitted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:57 am

Welcome aboard.

Excellent picture album. That is quite as assemblage of "foreign" cars you have there. Not a domestic in the lot. :)

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby pony65k » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:37 pm

G'day Tim.

Welcome to the best site to get all your HIPO info. That's a nice bunch of cars you have there :)

René
pony65k
RidiKulous

Postby K-Conv » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:10 pm

Hello and welcome.
Glad to see there are mustang enthusiasts over there.
My choice of motorcycles is Triumph, nice bikes.
K-Conv
AttraKted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:49 pm

K-Conv wrote:Hello and welcome.

I had a 650 Bonneville myself and although it was a nice bike, somebody put the shifter and brakes on the wrong side. ;)

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby SixT5HiPo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Glad you are a new member. Nice pictures. Thanks for posting the link. Gotta love the BOSS!
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby K-Conv » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:36 pm

Fred, get yourself a "New Bonneville" (2001 and up) they shift on the "right" side. ;)
K-Conv
AttraKted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:28 am

K-Conv wrote:Fred, get yourself a "New Bonneville" (2001 and up) they shift on the "right" side. ;)

Well that may be fine but if I was buying a "new Bonneville" then it would seem logical that I would want a newer model Mustang, but I really do not. I am an old gear head and just appreciate the "old school" stuff. ;)

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby zray » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:46 pm

C6ZZKGT wrote:

I had a 650 Bonneville myself and although it was a nice bike, somebody put the shifter and brakes on the wrong side. ;)

-Fred-

Now Fred, to be fair, only the rear brake was on the "wrong" side. Now that would've been a challenge if the front brake and clutch levers were switched too !

PS. I got my first full time professional mechanic job in 1969, working for Triumph of OKC. We got about a hundred Triumph 650's every summer hauled in to the shop that had started out being driven from the west coast eastward, and "holed" a piston somewhere between Amarillo TX and OKC. Every single one of them had those too hot Champion spark plugs.

Naturally I've loved and owned many Triumphs. My best one by far was a Rickman-Triumph 650 street Matisse. That bike was the best handling machine I've every piloted in my entire life. And it was the first production motorcycle to have disc brakes front and rear. They were Lockheed, and and I recall the road tests crediting them for a 99 feet 60 to 0 mph stopping distance. It was an incredible ride.

Z.
zray
LunatiK

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:04 pm

zray wrote:
C6ZZKGT wrote:

-Fred-

Now Fred, to be fair, only the rear brake was on the "wrong" side. Now that would've been a challenge if the front brake and clutch levers were switched too !

PS. I got my first full time professional mechanic job in 1969, working for Triumph of OKC. We got about a hundred Triumph 650's every summer hauled in to the shop that had started out being driven from the west coast eastward, and "holed" a piston somewhere between Amarillo TX and OKC. Every single one of them had those too hot Champion spark plugs.

Naturally I've loved and owned many Triumphs. My best one by far was a Rickman-Triumph 650 street Matisse. That bike was the best handling machine I've every piloted in my entire life. And it was the first production motorcycle to have disc brakes front and rear. They were Lockheed, and and I recall the road tests crediting them for a 99 feet 60 to 0 mph stopping distance. It was an incredible ride.

Z.

It is good to know that you have a lot of experience with these Triumphs, Z. I would not have expected that on a Hipo Mustang forum.

The Triumphs are great sounding machines and the vibrations will help to keep you awake. ;)

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:08 pm

zray wrote:
C6ZZKGT wrote:

-Fred-

Z.

The problem for me with the reversed brake and shifter is that, not being used to it, that configuration can get you in trouble quickly when you realize that you need to stop fast and you have only down shifted the transmission instead of applying the brake. :o H-D Sportsters had the same configuration although I believe that has now changed.

-Fred-
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby K-Conv » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:44 pm

Back in the 70's US regulators imposed rules stating that all motorcycles imported to the US had to have the same shift/brake configuration.

My 1971 Norton Roadster has the traditional british shift pattern.
K-Conv
AttraKted

Return to New Members