Greetings all - from Norway!

Briefly introduce yourself, meet new members, or ask Kwestions on the use of the forums and this website. Stories and status updates about Kars should be posted in the Shop TalK section of the Members Only forum.

Greetings all - from Norway!

Postby NorHiPo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:15 pm

I have been a long time lurker, and now I thought it was about time for me to join the good people here.
Back in 1997 I returned to my native Norway after having spent a few years working in the UK, and with a bit of money to spare I wanted to buy an american classic. I have always been into american cars, and having previously owned a '70 Dodge Dart and a '76 Chevy Nova, I felt that now was the time for me to buy the car I really wanted - a C3 Corvette! I quickly realized I couldnt afford one of those, so I had to figure out some alternatives.
Back then I had never paid much attention to Ford products, but suddenly I started to look at 60s Mustangs, and the more I looked the more I started to want one. So I looked at, and test drove a few; I think I had my mind pretty much set on a 65 or 66 - and after having tried out a 65 that was nice but too expensive (and it was a 6 cylinder converted into a V8), and a very nice looking emberglow 66 which just felt too soft (automatic, power brakes and steering), I finally found something that looked interesting. It was described as an early, all original raven black hardtop 1964 1/2 High Performance Mustang. So I went to take a look, fell in love, took it for a test drive, and fell deeper in love. So I just bought it, for the asking price - which wasnt unreasonable, considering the condition of the car. It was tidy, but tired in most places.
I drove it for three years, and I knew I had to either get rid of it or spend some serious money to make it right - so I parked it in my parents garage. And I bought myself a 92 Mustang LX hatch as a daily driver - and promised myself that the 92 would remain strictly original 'as is,' and that all my earnings would go towards the old black K-Code. That promise was good for about a two months, so for the next 10 years I had the pleasure of driving a Fox body Mustang that got more and more modified. Until some five years ago, when I finally started to get serious with the old black one. It is now undergoing a "symphatetic" restoration carried out by some local professionals, the 92 is sitting in my mothers garage and I have a 2012 MINI Cooper S Coupe as my daily driver.

My Kar was built at the Dearborn factory with date codes indicating an early June 1964 build. It is all raven black with pretty much no options aside from a radio (which sort of kinda works) and a Rally Pac cluster where the rev counter works and the clock works occasionally. All the important K-code stuff is there, but the Kar has lived a hard life back in the sixties (or putting it this way, it was clearly driven the way these cars were meant to be driven).

I hope to get to know more of you people with a passion for these unique kars, and eventually there will be pics to follow from the restoration.

Petter,
Oslo, Norway

P.S.: And my feelings for C3 Corvettes these days? Couldnt care less... nice cars though!
1964 1/2 Mustang K-code HT
1992 Mustang LX hatchback
2012 MINI Cooper S Coupe
NorHiPo
eKsposed

Re: Greetings all - from Norway!

Postby Texas Swede » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Welcome,
Have many friends from Norway with very cool cars. The collective knowledge on this site about HiPo Mustangs is great and
you will be getting the assistance you may require.
Texas Swede
Texas Swede
OKKupied

Postby C6ZZKGT » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Welcome aboard, Petter,

This, as you know, is a great place to discuss the K codes. As far as Corvettes, I am a C2 guy as the C3 ones are too big for my taste. Better said is that I believe there were no Corvettes produced after 1967. :) :)

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby pony65k » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Petter.

Great story and glad to have you aboard. BTW, I'm with Fred, C2's are a thing of beauty, right behind the 65/66 K Codes :D

René
pony65k
RidiKulous

Postby zray » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:58 pm

C6ZZKGT wrote:Welcome aboard, Petter,
"..... Better said is that I believe there were no Corvettes produced after 1967. :) :)

-Fred-

Certainly no Sting Rays. The engineering of the 1960's was well matched to the styling and size of the mid '60's cars. Especially the Sting Ray, the Mustang, the e-type Jag, and the TR-4 & TR-6. By the late 1960's most of the great cars had been super sized and the beautiful proportions were lost.

This is one of my e Jag's circa 1980

zray
LunatiK

Postby jwc66k » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Welcome Petter,
Take a look at the door data tag for the scheduled build date. For reference, the first production "K" code Mustangs built in Dearborn should have been dated around the 7th or 8th of June, 1964 (code 07F, 08F). That will give you an idea as to where yours fits in the production run. Good luck in your project.
Jim
jwc66k
RidiKulous

Postby SixT5HiPo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:21 am

Thanks for the nice introduction. Here's hoping you get the K Mustang sorted out and properly restored. Keep us updated as you make progress.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby chucks302 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:05 am

Welcome to the site , and to the early 64.5 K club, i have a june 8th build dearbork K coupe , best regards, chuck.
chucks302
Kommitted

Postby pony65k » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:24 pm

zray wrote:
Certainly no Sting Rays. The engineering of the 1960's was well matched to the styling and size of the mid '60's cars. Especially the Sting Ray, the Mustang, the e-type Jag, and the TR-4 & TR-6. By the late 1960's most of the great cars had been super sized and the beautiful proportions were lost.

Oh yeah Z, E-Types are the bees knees!!!! Would love one myself :D

René
pony65k
RidiKulous

Postby NorHiPo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Thank you all for the nice reception, glad to be part of the community!
2012 MINI Cooper S Coupe
NorHiPo
eKsposed

Postby NorHiPo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:45 pm

zray wrote:

That's a great picture - and a beautiful car!
Back in the mid 90s I was working in England, and my boss had a 1965 Series 1 E-type, light blue with black leather, they are very expensive now...
2012 MINI Cooper S Coupe
NorHiPo
eKsposed

Postby zray » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:14 pm

That photo was taken right after I got the head back on, I was driving from Norman OK to Santa Monica CA the next day, so I figured I'd better do a valve job (in the driveway) before starting out. It was a great long distance car. A step up from the TR-4 I'd used the previous year to drive from Oklahoma to NYC.

Oh to be young and foolish again.

Z
zray
LunatiK

Postby jwc66k » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:36 pm

zray wrote:Oh to be young and foolish again.
Z

It's a "mental" state. The "physical" part is what usually fails first.
Jim
jwc66k
RidiKulous

Return to New Members