photos to share

Anything goes! Please keep it Klean and tame. Not a place for dirty laundry.

Re: photos to share

Postby C6ZZKGT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 am

SixT5HiPo wrote:
JPhil wrote:

JP

You have to wonder: Does this COBRA still exist?

If it didn't survive, it is certainly not due to the damage shown. Although somewhat ugly, it is a relatively easy repair.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby Dan Case » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:37 am

C6ZZKGT wrote:
SixT5HiPo wrote:
JPhil wrote:

JP

If it didn't survive, it is certainly not due to the damage shown. Although somewhat ugly, it is a relatively easy repair.

-Fred-

I don't know about that Cobra but there Cobras and 427 Cobras with LESS damage were parted out or scrapped out in the 1960s and 1970s. In modern times cars in better condition have been converted to vintage race roadsters and even recreated as Daytona Coupe replicas. To properly repair damage to the front of frames and suspension the inner panels and body must be removed; maybe even the engine and transmission. Then you have to worry about finding or making parts. Not every body shop and or owner and or insurance company was capable / interested in going to the trouble of doing good repairs.

Survive is an interesting concept. There are dozens of Cobras that have “survived” in VIN number and yet might not have much if anything of the parts that VIN was attached to as it arrived at the selling dealer. Modern Example: There was a car damaged in the middle, not real bad, but it was stripped of everything usable. The chassis with body work still on was cut into halves. Both halves were offered separately (without title) on ebay®. A new car with a bunch of old parts showed up in its place. Potential buyers interested in having something for themselves all made in the 1960s avoid such cars.
Dan Case
Dan Case
AttraKted

Postby SixT5HiPo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:24 am

-Fred-

I don't know about that Cobra but there Cobras and 427 Cobras with LESS damage were parted out or scrapped out in the 1960s and 1970s. In modern times cars in better condition have been converted to vintage race roadsters and even recreated as Daytona Coupe replicas. To properly repair damage to the front of frames and suspension the inner panels and body must be removed; maybe even the engine and transmission. Then you have to worry about finding or making parts. Not every body shop and or owner and or insurance company was capable / interested in going to the trouble of doing good repairs.

Survive is an interesting concept. There are dozens of Cobras that have “survived” in VIN number and yet might not have much if anything of the parts that VIN was attached to as it arrived at the selling dealer. Modern Example: There was a car damaged in the middle, not real bad, but it was stripped of everything usable. The chassis with body work still on was cut into halves. Both halves were offered separately (without title) on ebay®. A new car with a bunch of old parts showed up in its place. Potential buyers interested in having something for themselves all made in the 1960s avoid such cars.

Very interesting comments, Dan. I'm still impressed by this photo, and am thinking that COBRA was still a fairly new car when the crash occurred. The dark CONTINENTAL parked nearby with the passenger door opened is kind of mysterious, and the same goes for the location.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby JPhil » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:10 am

A few more to get 2018 off to a solid start:

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby JPhil » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:17 am

A few period ads:

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby Dan Case » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 am

SixT5HiPo wrote:

-Fred-

Very interesting comments, Dan. I'm still impressed by this photo, and am thinking that COBRA was still a fairly new car when the crash occurred. The dark CONTINENTAL parked nearby with the passenger door opened is kind of mysterious, and the same goes for the location.

For consideration.

To do a "restoration" of a previously unrestored undamaged intact original drivetrain Cobra to a level of let’s say a reproduction parts are okay class (I think they use to call it something like Division II in SAAC) of a 1965 MUSTANG GT350 would Cobra wise take a busy two years and probably more than $200,000. A less than original parts car was for sale last year where the seller claimed to have spent over $400,000 with restoration shops. (Few people have the resources to totally rework a Cobra so most work is done in commercial shops.) If a car is missing significant pieces it could cost $60,000 or more just to round up original replacements, if they can be found at all. (Yesterday the US Postal service delivered an great used drivetrain part for my red car that I have hunted and posted want ads for since 2004 for example.)

In 2017 you could have sold sell an almost destroyed Cobra with a clean title really quick for as much as $300,000. Vintage racers are the main potential buyers of almost destroyed cars and building Daytona Coupe replicas with period traceable VIN is a common idea. Outside of the USA buyers often (not always) don’t care much for originality just continuous history.

In 2017 you could buy a drive off the lot replica of a 1964-65 street Cobra from two or more different companies and countries for roughly half what an almost destroyed original was worth.

No surprise then that occasionally a brand new car show up with an old VIN, especially overseas.

Also, people are still parting out original Cobras and 427 Cobras to make vintage racers out of them. In 2015 one particular Cobra was stripped to main frame and body skin. Everything removed was sold off with much of it landing in the collection of one original Cobra owner. There was also a 427 Cobra stripped to the frame and individual parts from that car are still floating around the used part market here in January 2018. The latest trend for is to use original parts patina and all to build up new replicars that look old.

Back in the early 1980s if you saw a “Cobra” you could be pretty sure you were seeing the handiwork of AC Cars, Ford, and Shelby. That is not true anymore. By some estimates within original Cobra owner circles maybe 98% of what you might see car wise now wasn’t anything made in the 1960s other than selected parts to add “originality”.
Dan Case
Dan Case
AttraKted

Postby 289kford » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 am

the 'congrats Kathy' pic is of local lady Kathy Miller. She still owns car. Her son Nate runs a Mustang shop here in Canfield Ohio
289kford
Kommitted

Postby SixT5HiPo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 am

289kford wrote:the 'congrats Kathy' pic is of local lady Kathy Miller. She still owns car. Her son Nate runs a Mustang shop here in Canfield Ohio

Thanks for reminding us about her. I remember seeing her story recently, possibly posted here?
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby 289kford » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 pm

I posted a link to a story one of our local papers did a while back. Local TV did a story also. Somebody else did a story at the 50th (?) show. Don't know if it was one of the magazines.
Nate's K convert was just talked about recently too. He sold it and there was recently a story in a magazine. pretty sure same car. Think I saw that link here.

edit
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4971
289kford
Kommitted

Postby SixT5HiPo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 pm

289kford wrote:I posted a link to a story one of our local papers did a while back. Local TV did a story also. Somebody else did a story at the 50th (?) show. Don't know if it was one of the magazines.
Nate's K convert was just talked about recently too. He sold it and there was recently a story in a magazine. pretty sure same car. Think I saw that link here.

edit
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4971

That's it, Bill. Thanks for finding the links for us. That story never gets old...
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby SixT5HiPo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 am

Dan Case wrote:... If a car is missing significant pieces it could cost $60,000 or more just to round up original replacements, if they can be found at all. (Yesterday the US Postal service delivered an great used drivetrain part for my red car that I have hunted and posted want ads for since 2004 for example.)

Love stories like that, Dan. Many say the "hunt" is the best part of the car hobby.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby Dan Case » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:39 pm

SixT5HiPo wrote:
Dan Case wrote:... If a car is missing significant pieces it could cost $60,000 or more just to round up original replacements, if they can be found at all. (Yesterday the US Postal service delivered an great used drivetrain part for my red car that I have hunted and posted want ads for since 2004 for example.)

/quote]

Love stories like that, Dan. Many say the "hunt" is the best part of the car hobby.

The hunt and chase is often fun if you have just a few things to hunt. The hunt loses its allure when there are dozens to several hundred scarce original parts to hunt, the supply is very limited (Many Cobra production parts were not common even in 1964-65.), you have to wait until somebody decides they don’t want the old parts from their car or parts they collected over decades (Which is often at the point of time they retire from playing with old cars and downsize / uncomplicated their lives late in life.), and you not only have be at the right place at the right time but you must be able to out bid the competition. (The competition is often a replicar builder and or owner wanting something to make their new car more “original”. At any given time there might be let us say two original car owners looking for a particular part and five or more replicar builders and or owners could be interested. The most frequent new home for decades old original parts has become replicars becoming “more original”.) There is a long list of original production parts in Cobras that since the late 1970s can only come from another Cobra. AC Cars and Shelby American didn’t make 20 to 50 percent extra parts for owners to use for the next five decades. In many cases service parts were quite different than production parts at the same time 1963-65. All but the very small number (handful of cars) of “restored” Cobras will probably have something like 200 or more non-stock replacement parts in them. Each time a Cobra is restored it usually looses more original parts. Cobras have become so modified during “restorations” that one author created a term for taking a commercially restored Cobra and trying to go back to with many original parts as you can find, ‘UN-restore’.

I still have not rounded up every last original bit for the Cobra we bought in 1983. The want list for the one we bought in 2003 is still several pages long. My hobby is hunting parts so to speak. Yes, there are owners rich enough to buy multiple Cobras in succession, harvest parts off of them, install some type replacement parts, and then sell the car for profit. Most Cobra owners can’t afford that parts supply strategy.

The up side for my hunts is I have met people from several countries on multiple continents and made some really close friends as we share information and hunts. The data I have collected and shared with owners and restorers was born in these meetings since the 1980s.
Dan Case
Dan Case
AttraKted

Postby SixT5HiPo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:17 am

Dan Case wrote:
The up side for my hunts is I have met people from several countries on multiple continents and made some really close friends as we share information and hunts. The data I have collected and shared with owners and restorers was born in these meetings since the 1980s.

Amen, brother.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby SixT5HiPo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:29 pm

JPhil wrote:A few period ads:

JP

This is simply the best that it gets!
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby JPhil » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:07 pm

A few more:

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby JPhil » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Draft card anyone?

Clocking in.

Mel Burns Ford.

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby SixT5HiPo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 pm

JPhil wrote:

Mel Burns Ford.

JP

Gotta wonder if that COBRA sign still exists???
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby JPhil » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:46 am

Quarter mile Hipo fun.

A closer look at this unused promo ad shows a '65 Hipo , blackwalls and spinners.

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby JPhil » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:07 am

Some more from back in the day: Hayward Ford

Horn Ford: Pick one!

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby JPhil » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:25 am

Gotta' wonder how many of these survive today:

Colt badge:

A '66 GT occupies a corner spot at this Ford used car lot:

Shelby anyone?

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby SixT5HiPo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:02 pm

JPhil wrote:Gotta' wonder how many of these survive today:

JP

Bill Marsh Ford is still selling Mustangs today in Newtown, PA, sort of...Details HERE.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby SixT5HiPo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:28 pm

JPhil wrote:A '66 GT occupies a corner spot at this Ford used car lot:

JP

It's interesting to see the two Ponitiacs that are on the other corner, too.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Previous

Return to General disKussion