Interesting 4200 mile? '65 @ Fraser Dante in GA

Anything goes! Please keep it Klean and tame. Not a place for dirty laundry.

Interesting 4200 mile? '65 @ Fraser Dante in GA

Postby JPhil » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:30 am

http://www.fraserdante.com/4677%20-%2065%20Must%20GT%20-%20Blue/65gt%20blue.html

Looks like a nice car and much of the info may be accurate.

An interesting read no doubt but the looming question remains...
Why restore a 4200 mile original?
Where is the proof? :?:

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3903

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Re: Interesting 4200 mile? '65 @ Fraser Dante in GA

Postby stangman39 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:11 pm

I helped resurrect this Fastback out of the basement.
I have pics.
stangman39
AttraKted

Postby 21.04 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:56 pm

I too don't picture a low mileage kar stored in a basement would need a full resto. Perhaps the kar was not stored in the basement from '71 to present? The story does not tell how long it was stored in the basement for. I would not have thought mufflers, steering wheel, carpet and seat belts would have seen that much use or abuse sitting in dark dry storage this long unless rodents, wild kids, or mayhem took over.

Matt
OKKupied

Postby JPhil » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:55 pm

stangman39 wrote:I helped resurrect this Fastback out of the basement.
I have pics.

Great! That would be cool to see.

Jp
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby stangman39 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:03 pm

These are from approx Aug 2014.
How I became part of this is a long story...I'll share if you all want to hear!
(also, this part of the forum is open to the public, right?)

The car was on jack stands under a cover when I first saw it and I don't think it had been touched much since 1977/1978. Car still had the GA inspection sticker on the windshield from 77/78. (We don't have those stickers any more). Car was a in basement garage.

stangman39
AttraKted

Postby JPhil » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Share away. Would love to hear the story.

Jp
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby stangman39 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Before I forget, the original owner at some point had some detailed custom painting done up front near the 289 badges that said "Semi Hemi"
I thought that was classic!
April 2014 I'm in Charlotte for the 50th show. As many know horrible weather that weekend. Saturday decided not to got to the show but had Springsteen tkts that night so hung out at the Ritz lobby during the day since I know the band was probably staying there (I ran into some of them). Bump into a coworker who came up for the concert also with a friend of his. I told them I was in town for the Stang 50th show etc. The friend says he's always wanted an old Mustang and if he ever decides to buy one would it be ok if he picked my brain. Sure.
Few months later my coworker tells me his friend has a patient who claims to have an original 65 Mustang Fastback he bought new in Atlanta in his basement stored for the past 30 years or so, would I call him as he needs some help!
The Stang owners back yard was like a jungle! When we first went to see it I think that's the pic of the car with the cover on it above. Interior was covered in mildew. Owner said he tried to turn it over by hand every few months and changed the oil every now and then. The oil in it was actually pretty clean. The owner said he used to run it at Road Atlanta back in the day and mentioned the mods he had done etc. I wasn't looking to buy the car but the guy who took me along was. There was the original window sticker with the car and owners manual which was cool. The car had undercoating on it which was actually listed on the window sticker!
I think the first price thrown out was $30K!! I told Bob (we'll call my coworkers friend that) no way to $30K. The paint on the car was original but worn and the drivers back quarter had some body work and primer from when there was a minor accident. The car was straight as can be and no rust on it. Bob was keen on the 4K original miles and I advised that's cool and all but there is nothing to prove it but the sellers word etc.
A few weeks went by and he worked a deal to buy it for less than $30K. He didn't have a trailer so we used mine to pull it out of the jungle and over to my storage facility I was renting at the time.
I helped him over about 6 weekends bring the car back to life. We checked compression and one cylinder was really low but we got it running regardless and it ran pretty well. We did go thru everything...new fuel tank, new fuel lines, new radiator, plugs, wires, etc. etc. Bob really didn't know much about old cars so I helped a lot. I told him to get the car mechanically sound and drive it as is and enjoy it. He wanted to paint it. We lost touch not too long after and I guess he decided to restore it and sell it. It was hard for me to tell from the Dante ad who actually owns the car now.
stangman39
AttraKted

Postby C6ZZKGT » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:22 pm

stangman39 wrote:Before I forget, the original owner at some point had some detailed custom painting done up front near the 289 badges that said "Semi Hemi"
I thought that was classic!
April 2014 I'm in Charlotte for the 50th show. As many know horrible weather that weekend. Saturday decided not to got to the show but had Springsteen tkts that night so hung out at the Ritz lobby during the day since I know the band was probably staying there (I ran into some of them). Bump into a coworker who came up for the concert also with a friend of his. I told them I was in town for the Stang 50th show etc. The friend says he's always wanted an old Mustang and if he ever decides to buy one would it be ok if he picked my brain. Sure.
Few months later my coworker tells me his friend has a patient who claims to have an original 65 Mustang Fastback he bought new in Atlanta in his basement stored for the past 30 years or so, would I call him as he needs some help!
The Stang owners back yard was like a jungle! When we first went to see it I think that's the pic of the car with the cover on it above. Interior was covered in mildew. Owner said he tried to turn it over by hand every few months and changed the oil every now and then. The oil in it was actually pretty clean. The owner said he used to run it at Road Atlanta back in the day and mentioned the mods he had done etc. I wasn't looking to buy the car but the guy who took me along was. There was the original window sticker with the car and owners manual which was cool. The car had undercoating on it which was actually listed on the window sticker!
I think the first price thrown out was $30K!! I told Bob (we'll call my coworkers friend that) no way to $30K. The paint on the car was original but worn and the drivers back quarter had some body work and primer from when there was a minor accident. The car was straight as can be and no rust on it. Bob was keen on the 4K original miles and I advised that's cool and all but there is nothing to prove it but the sellers word etc.
A few weeks went by and he worked a deal to buy it for less than $30K. He didn't have a trailer so we used mine to pull it out of the jungle and over to my storage facility I was renting at the time.
I helped him over about 6 weekends bring the car back to life. We checked compression and one cylinder was really low but we got it running regardless and it ran pretty well. We did go thru everything...new fuel tank, new fuel lines, new radiator, plugs, wires, etc. etc. Bob really didn't know much about old cars so I helped a lot. I told him to get the car mechanically sound and drive it as is and enjoy it. He wanted to paint it. We lost touch not too long after and I guess he decided to restore it and sell it. It was hard for me to tell from the Dante ad who actually owns the car now.

It would sure be helpful if he retained to old parts somewhere.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
C6ZZKGT
Klassic

Postby JPhil » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:21 am

Cool story for sure.
The car looks from the photos to be nicely done. I would question the claim of 4200 miles etc without proof. That's not to say that the folks making the claim are not honest, just saying that without proof it's just a story.
Unfortunately the claim is being used to sell a car that in all likelihood doesn't need the story to sell it. It just needs it to set it apart from the rest and sell it for more.

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby JPhil » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:51 am

21.04 wrote:I too don't picture a low mileage kar stored in a basement would need a full resto. Perhaps the kar was not stored in the basement from '71 to present? The story does not tell how long it was stored in the basement for. I would not have thought mufflers, steering wheel, carpet and seat belts would have seen that much use or abuse sitting in dark dry storage this long unless rodents, wild kids, or mayhem took over.

Matt

I would agree here. Both the Perkins 3,800 mile Hipo FB and the Florida 13,000 mile Hipo Gt FB have extensive documentation and both show the type of wear you would expect from low mileage cars that were stored away for many years.

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby JPhil » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:08 am

Looks like this car sold at some point. Problem is the seller list multiple sell prices. :roll:
This add list not one but TWO prices!
$56,950.00
$52,950.00
http://www.fraserdante.com/4677%20-%2065%20Must%20GT%20-%20Blue/65gt%20blue.html

This states that it sold for $70,000.00!
http://www.fraserdante.com/must.html

What a tangled web. ;)

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby SixT5HiPo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Forgot about this one since it first turned up here just about one year ago. Interesting fastback indeed.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Return to General disKussion