'66 GT K Code Coupe

Anything goes! Please keep it Klean and tame. Not a place for dirty laundry.

'66 GT K Code Coupe

Postby antho » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 am

Hello All: okay, I have a chance to purchase a real deal unmolested '66 K Code GT coupe that's been sitting for 45 years. Buck tag, fender vin etc. all in place. It needs floors and some frame work. Interior is original. I have several big block Shelby's, Mach 1's etc. and am not a huge fan of coupes and was not really looking for one but... it is a K Code. Am I overpaying at 12-14k.
antho
eKsposed

Re: '66 GT K Code Coupe

Postby JPhil » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:18 am

More info, pics, perhaps a vin, via PM if you wish to keep private, may help answer your questions.

JP
JPhil
RidiKulous

Postby zray » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Add up what it would cost YOU to have it be a perfect K GT coupe . If that number plus the purchase price is more than $35,000 then it is not a good deal. You would be better off buying the perfect car in the first place.

Paint alone can easily cost $10,000. And that's not counting ANY body work. The engine will have to be overhauled, this another $5,000 - $8,000 easy. Without any of the numerous misc. stuff, like a new interior, you are already close to $30,000

Figuring by monetary cost alone, there's almost NO WAY to "pays" to restore a coupe, even a K code coupe. Remember, it costs no more to restore a Shelby or a k code fastback or convertible, than it does to restore a coupe, and you have a lot more cushion.

Z
zray
LunatiK

Postby SixT5HiPo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Agree with Z Ray completely. See if you can get the price to below $10,000, and it might be a good deal if the drivetrain is complete, and is in good working condition. Otherwise, it may not be a good prospect unless you just love the color combination, and it completely passes the "numbers matching" test. Just to add another perspective, a coupe drives just as good as the fastback or convertible, and weighs LESS than either. ;)
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Postby antho » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:48 am

Interesting when dealing with a coupe-something I very rarely do. Granted, if you just work the numbers, you might be inclined to hit the chicken switch. Of course, that assumes some sort of long term/expensive restoration agenda. On the other hand, the investment angle is hard to overlook esp. if correct, numbers matching and off the grid for decades. Let's face it, a correct low mileage K Code drivetrain alone may command what the car could likely be purchased for... And then there's the "survivor" aspect which in some ways also plays into the investment angle. Overpaying initially (a loose term itself) with the goal of cleaning it up as a good driver preserves both the integrity and investment angle-and best of all, you can enjoy the car for a whole lot less than if you trailer queened it. Sometimes, we get too caught up in the concept/pipe dream of perfect restorations forgetting along the way why we bought the car to begin with. I'll keep you all posted and thanks for the insight and feedback.
antho
eKsposed

Postby SixT5HiPo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 am

antho wrote:Interesting when dealing with a coupe-something I very rarely do. Granted, if you just work the numbers, you might be inclined to hit the chicken switch. Of course, that assumes some sort of long term/expensive restoration agenda. On the other hand, the investment angle is hard to overlook esp. if correct, numbers matching and off the grid for decades. Let's face it, a correct low mileage K Code drivetrain alone may command what the car could likely be purchased for... And then there's the "survivor" aspect which in some ways also plays into the investment angle. Overpaying initially (a loose term itself) with the goal of cleaning it up as a good driver preserves both the integrity and investment angle-and best of all, you can enjoy the car for a whole lot less than if you trailer queened it. Sometimes, we get too caught up in the concept/pipe dream of perfect restorations forgetting along the way why we bought the car to begin with. I'll keep you all posted and thanks for the insight and feedback.

Couldn't agree more. Keep us posted on your decision.
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!

Re: '66 GT K Code Coupe 6T07K182732

Postby JPhil » Mon May 22, 2017 6:28 am

JPhil
RidiKulous

Return to General disKussion