64.5 k CODE IN MUSTANG MONTHLY

Anything goes! Please keep it Klean and tame. Not a place for dirty laundry.

64.5 k CODE IN MUSTANG MONTHLY

Postby chucks302 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Just read sept 2017 mustang monthly article on the 64.5 K code convert ,just wondering if the fuel pump in the photo of the engine compartment was in place before or after the car was sent to bob perkins shop per the article, i dont know the build date of the car but i thought 64.5 K cars had the screw together fuel pumps vs the 3939s crimped pumps, if fred is looking he might have some input on this,
chucks302
Kommitted
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 64.5 k CODE IN MUSTANG MONTHLY

Postby C6ZZKGT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:46 am

chucks302 wrote:Just read sept 2017 mustang monthly article on the 64.5 K code convert ,just wondering if the fuel pump in the photo of the engine compartment was in place before or after the car was sent to bob perkins shop per the article, i dont know the build date of the car but i thought 64.5 K cars had the screw together fuel pumps vs the 3939s crimped pumps, if fred is looking he might have some input on this,


The earliest crimp together date code 3939-S fuel pump that I have observed is August 6, 1964 which is actual 1965 production, although only by a few days. I have an August 6, 1964 San Jose Koupe and based on my last sentence I determined that I had to use a screw together type of pump even though I had the August 6, 1964 dated 3939=S pump in hand.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5482
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: 64.5 k CODE IN MUSTANG MONTHLY

Postby chucks302 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:24 am

C6ZZKGT wrote:
chucks302 wrote:Just read sept 2017 mustang monthly article on the 64.5 K code convert ,just wondering if the fuel pump in the photo of the engine compartment was in place before or after the car was sent to bob perkins shop per the article, i dont know the build date of the car but i thought 64.5 K cars had the screw together fuel pumps vs the 3939s crimped pumps, if fred is looking he might have some input on this,


The earliest crimp together date code 3939-S fuel pump that I have observed is August 6, 1964 which is actual 1965 production, although only by a few days. I have an August 6, 1964 San Jose Koupe and based on my last sentence I determined that I had to use a screw together type of pump even though I had the August 6, 1964 dated 3939=S pump in hand.

-Fred-
Those were my thoughts also fred, the change from screw together pumps to crimp style could have happened when the running change from generator to alternator took place, Does MCA concourse gold rules see it that way as it did win that award .
chucks302
Kommitted
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 64.5 k CODE IN MUSTANG MONTHLY

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 pm

chucks302 wrote:
C6ZZKGT wrote:
chucks302 wrote:Just read sept 2017 mustang monthly article on the 64.5 K code convert ,just wondering if the fuel pump in the photo of the engine compartment was in place before or after the car was sent to bob perkins shop per the article, i dont know the build date of the car but i thought 64.5 K cars had the screw together fuel pumps vs the 3939s crimped pumps, if fred is looking he might have some input on this,


The earliest crimp together date code 3939-S fuel pump that I have observed is August 6, 1964 which is actual 1965 production, although only by a few days. I have an August 6, 1964 San Jose Koupe and based on my last sentence I determined that I had to use a screw together type of pump even though I had the August 6, 1964 dated 3939=S pump in hand.

-Fred-
Those were my thoughts also fred, the change from screw together pumps to crimp style could have happened when the running change from generator to alternator took place, Does MCA concourse gold rules see it that way as it did win that award .


Chuck,

I would sure love to see the date code on that crimped pump on that 64 1/2 Kar as my records do NOT indicate any crimped pumps prior to August 6, 1964 including standard 289 and also 390 pumps for other Ford vehicles.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5482
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: 64.5 k CODE IN MUSTANG MONTHLY

Postby 289kford » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:52 pm

I have seen this car as the restoring owner lives in Boardman and his shop is in Canfield, both outside of Youngstown Ohio, not Columbus as the story reads. His mother, Kathy, has been featured in one or more magazines with her 64.5 Mustang she got new as a high school grad present.
http://wkbn.com/2014/04/18/boardman-fam ... lebration/
I can not tell you any specifics but I've seen the car over the 90's to early 00's. Usually at the old Boardman A&W Mustang night. (One year there was 6 K codes there.)
I thought at one time it was on ebay for more than 100k.
His shop also did the mysterious oldest mustang that was sold, maybe a pre-production car that got out.
http://www.towncrieronline.com/page/con ... 11714.html
User avatar
289kford
Kommitted
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 am
Location: N.E. Ohio

Re: 64.5 k CODE IN MUSTANG MONTHLY

Postby chucks302 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:46 pm

I also have been to the shop in canfield , met nate and his father nice people, i think nate had this K convert at the canfield swap meet a few years back on display , might be that bob perkins removed the crimped pump after the MM photo shoot to install a screw together pump,
chucks302
Kommitted
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:17 pm


Return to General disKussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest