Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Anything goes! Please keep it Klean and tame. Not a place for dirty laundry.

Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby evantugby » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Anyone smart enough here to tell me which Autolite carburetor would have been the correct one for a 1966 Mustang Fastback K-code built in Metuchen in October 23, 1965?

Tag number and Date Code would be great! I was told there is a gentleman on here, BoB Manuel, who is an expert at this stuff.

Thank you!
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signal flare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
User avatar
evantugby
Kommitted
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby SixT5HiPo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:57 pm

evantugby wrote: ...which Autolite carburetor would have been the correct one for a 1966 Mustang Fastback K-code built in Metuchen in October 23, 1965?


I was told there is a gentleman ... BoB Manuel, who is an expert at this stuff.

Thank you!


The correct carburetor depends on which transmission is used, and doesn't matter which assembly plant built the car. That's because there was a difference in 1966 between the four speed and the automatic transmission carburetors.

Bob Mannel is truly an expert on the 289 engine. He has written THE reference book on the subject. It took him over 17 years to complete it. The information you need is contained in his book, and I'd urge you to purchase a copy from him. The book is titled "Mustang and Ford Small Block V8 1962-1969". HERE'S the link. It will be the best $39.00 you can spend, and it will surely answer virtually any question you have about the venerable Thinwall Small Block Ford V-8, especially the 289 High Performance version.

By the way, the book sellers on Amazon are "offering" this great book for minimum of $79.00, a HUGE markup. Please support Bob's effort by purchasing direct from him at the much lower price!
User avatar
SixT5HiPo
Enforcer!
 
Posts: 6445
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:17 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby jwc66k » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 pm

It's either a C6ZF-9500-C (marked ZF C on the left front mounting pad) for a Toploader manual transmission, or a C6ZF-9500-F (marked ZF F) for the automatic C4. The date code tags are stamped - C6ZF C and C6ZF F.
Jim
jwc66k
RidiKulous
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby C6ZZKGT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:21 am

jwc66k wrote:It's either a C6ZF-9500-C (marked ZF C on the left front mounting pad) for a Toploader manual transmission, or a C6ZF-9500-F (marked ZF F) for the automatic C4. The date code tags are stamped - C6ZF C and C6ZF F.
Jim


Jims stampings are close but the actual carb stampings are 6ZC for four speed and 6ZF for the automatic transmission. His tag numbers are correct.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5983
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby evantugby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Fred,
I'm confused now which numbers/letters you are trying to correct from Jim's post.

Can you tell me the what exactly I'm looking for in terms of part number and date code?
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signal flare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
User avatar
evantugby
Kommitted
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby C6ZZKGT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:07 pm

evantugby wrote:Fred,
I'm confused now which numbers/letters you are trying to correct from Jim's post.

Can you tell me the what exactly I'm looking for in terms of part number and date code?


The stampings that I corrected are on the left front toe of the carburetor at the base area and visible when installed. Most all 4100 carburetors are stamped there however prior to 1966 they will have a 5 or 6 digit stamping rather than the 3 digit beginning in 1966. The tag number is not as important as they can easily be lost or switched. The Ford part number will be of no help unless you found one new in the Ford box which is highly unlikely. The stampings are not the only difference as the casting for a Hipo 289 carburetor with a manual choke is a unique piece. If you need one for a 4 speed, I probably have one.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5983
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby evantugby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 pm

I do have a 1966 k code with four speed.
Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, K-code, HiPo, GT-350 Clone, Signal flare Red, black interior
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, A-code, Wimbledon White, red interior
User avatar
evantugby
Kommitted
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby jwc66k » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Fred. You are right again. I was looking at a 65 tag on my desk, writing for a 66 marking on the carb base and sipping a Brandy Manhattan. I got the Manhattan correct.

C6ZZKGT wrote: - the actual carb stampings are 6ZC for four speed and 6ZF for the automatic transmission.
-Fred-


That's the marking on the carburetor itself. It is a very shortened version to ID the carb - 6Z C (year, car line, version). The aluminum tag has a longer shortened version, C6ZF C (decade, year, car line, engineering group responsible, version. To further confuse you, the full engineering part number is C6ZF-9500-C, the service part number is C4OZ-9500-F, which in turn was replaced by C4OZ-9500-G. all you are interested is that the carburetor you want is marked 6Z C on the left front mounting pad. There are clones, so be careful. Fred does NOT deal in clones (unless he says so).
Jim
jwc66k
RidiKulous
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:06 pm

jwc66k wrote:Fred. You are right again. I was looking at a 65 tag on my desk, writing for a 66 marking on the carb base and sipping a Brandy Manhattan. I got the Manhattan correct.

C6ZZKGT wrote: - the actual carb stampings are 6ZC for four speed and 6ZF for the automatic transmission.
-Fred-


That's the marking on the carburetor itself. It is a very shortened version to ID the carb - 6Z C (year, car line, version). The aluminum tag has a longer shortened version, C6ZF C (decade, year, car line, engineering group responsible, version. To further confuse you, the full engineering part number is C6ZF-9500-C, the service part number is C4OZ-9500-F, which in turn was replaced by C4OZ-9500-G. all you are interested is that the carburetor you want is marked 6Z C on the left front mounting pad. There are clones, so be careful. Fred does NOT deal in clones (unless he says so).
Jim


Jim, You are correct that I do NOT deal in clones. There has not been a clone that I have seen that will pass as an original due to the unique casting of the body.

Evan and I are already in contact on the C6ZF-C tagged, 6ZC stamped carburetor that I have.

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5983
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby C6ZZKGT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:17 pm

jwc66k wrote:Fred. You are right again. I was looking at a 65 tag on my desk, writing for a 66 marking on the carb base and sipping a Brandy Manhattan. I got the Manhattan correct.

C6ZZKGT wrote: - the actual carb stampings are 6ZC for four speed and 6ZF for the automatic transmission.
-Fred-


That's the marking on the carburetor itself. It is a very shortened version to ID the carb - 6Z C (year, car line, version). The aluminum tag has a longer shortened version, C6ZF C (decade, year, car line, engineering group responsible, version. To further confuse you, the full engineering part number is C6ZF-9500-C, the service part number is C4OZ-9500-F, which in turn was replaced by C4OZ-9500-G. all you are interested is that the carburetor you want is marked 6Z C on the left front mounting pad. There are clones, so be careful. Fred does NOT deal in clones (unless he says so).
Jim


Jim, A carburetor basic part number is a 9510. Just out of curiosity, where did you come up with the 9500 number? Is that some sort of engineering number?

-Fred-
66 K GT Fastback Silver Frost / Black Pony Interior
66 K GT Fastback Signal Flare Red / Black Pony Interior
65 K Coupe Phoenician Yellow / Black Standard Interior
65 A Code 4 speed Ranchero
64 289 4 Speed Falcon Sedan Delivery
66 Corvette 427 Roadster
User avatar
C6ZZKGT
Klassic
 
Posts: 5983
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Canyon Country, California

Re: Correct K-Code karburetor for my 1966 Kar

Postby meltdwn65GT » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:02 am

evantugby wrote:Anyone smart enough here to tell me which Autolite carburetor would have been the correct one for a 1966 Mustang Fastback K-code built in Metuchen in October 23, 1965?

Tag number and Date Code would be great! I was told there is a gentleman on here, BoB Manuel, who is an expert at this stuff.

Thank you!


It would have been one of these two tags:
C6ZF-C A 5JC (Change level A, September 3rd week)
C6ZF-C B 5JD (Change level B, September 4th week)

All things equal, second carburetor itself would be more desirable due to change level.
meltdwn65GT
OKKupied
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:58 am


Return to General disKussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest